Select to view content in your preferred language

Clipping a Hosted Layer from Another Organization and Retaining Data Updates?

12-14-2023 10:01 AM
EJhanekSzypulski
New Contributor II

Hello all,

I am attempting to create an AGOL app that will let my organization view WSDOT Injunction Barrier culverts (point data) within our AOI. WSDOT releases updates to their dataset monthly. As such, I would like to use their hosted feature layer but clip it to my AOI while retaining the automatic updates. Is this possible?

I have experimented with the blending option and while it visually does what I want it to, it does not trim the attribute table down from the ~1,000 points in the full data set to the 141 points in our AOI. 

I can clip the data just fine but as it becomes its own layer at that point I don't believe it will update when WSDOT updates their data...is this correct?

2 Replies
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

https://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-online/manage-data/create-hosted-views.htm

• Area of interest—To limit the features included in the view, define a spatial extent for the layer. Only the features located in that extent will be included in the view.

Click the Polygon or Rectangle button and draw an area on the map. To define the same area of interest for all the layers in the view, click Apply to all layers.

0 Kudos
EJhanekSzypulski
New Contributor II

Hi David,

Thanks for the reply. I don't think this will work as I'm not the owner of the hosted layer that I'd like to clip.

"Only the owner of a hosted feature layer or an organization administrator can create a hosted feature layer view. This is different than copying a layer, which can be done by nonowners and even public users."

I would have to copy the hosted layer from WSDOT and add a feature layer view when I become the owner which would disconnect it from WSDOT updates...unless I'm thinking about this incorrectly?

0 Kudos