Clip bing map layer?

02-12-2012 04:38 AM
JulieLivengood
New Contributor
I have the bing base layer open in arc for a project.  How do I clip just the section I want so the file does not contain the world?

Thank you!
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
LefterisKoumis
Occasional Contributor III
I have the bing base layer open in arc for a project.  How do I clip just the section I want so the file does not contain the world?

Thank you!

you can do in arcmap, same the map and create a service... in arcmap just import the basemap and clip it to your section boundaries by right click on the data frame and select clipping...
0 Kudos
JulieLivengood
New Contributor
Sorry, I am not really sure what you are saying.

Thanks!
0 Kudos
AmberT
by
New Contributor III
you can do in arcmap, same the map and create a service... in arcmap just import the basemap and clip it to your section boundaries by right click on the data frame and select clipping...

What Lefteris is saying is that there is an option to "Clip" the basemap in ArcMap.  You can not do so in ArcGIS.com.  Clipping is a geopossessing task (aka a "tool") which can be done in ArcMap, desktop software. From my experiences with the basemaps in ArcMap, you cannot use use the "Clip" tool to clip the basemap.  Now technically the "Clipping" process that Lefteris is talking about is essentially just masking the basemap around the features where you don't want it to show (See attached word doc for an example, sorry I had to zip it because the word doc file was too large to upload because of the screen shots).  This slows ArcMap's drawing time dramatically and the inner boundaries of the basemap are sloppy. You cannot do this in ArcGIS.com.  However, if you are working with ArcInfo you can apply a "feature outline masks" to the basemap (the desktop software licenses).  This is a tool in the ArcToolbox and is not available with the ArcEditor or ArcView license.  Once you create a mask it becomes a new shapefile which you then can zip and add into ArcGIS.com.  Be advised that if you do not have an ArcGIS Server and you are not on an ArcGIS.com subscription for organizations (in beta testing) you are limited in the size of the map you create in ArcGIS.com.  For best performance of the web map your better off only adding in one zipped shapefile per map.  If you have a Server you can add the shapefiles in as a feature service and add multiple feature services to the map.  A feature service is a vector file (point, line, polygon) that is hosted on a server. A tiled service is a raster file that is hosted on a server.
0 Kudos
JulieLivengood
New Contributor
I am in ArcMap 10, I am not really sure how I found myself to arc online!  Thanks for your explanation, the not being able to clip the basemap is the issue I was having like you said.  I will check out your attachment and see if I can get it, I also found that exporting to illustrator clipped it on it's own and that would have been a final step later.

Thank you!
0 Kudos
AndrewMaracini
New Contributor

Thank you!

I think these instructions will work for what you want to do. I use this process all of the time in ArcMap 10.1

http://faculty.unlv.edu/jensen/html/Microsoft/BingMaps/
0 Kudos
WendyDickerson
New Contributor
The easy answer is that there is not a way to clip the basemap layer to your area of interest, however you can set your map up to only show the basemap for your area of interest even if you don't have ArcInfo or any other licenses besides desktop. To do so, you're going to need a polygon layer with at least two attributes to make a large "masking" poly and a poly that shows your area of interest. For example, let's say I wanted to display a basemap for a single county within a state. I load in my shapefile that shows all of the counties for my state of interest, and then I set up the symbology to create the mask. To do this, right click the shapefile and select Properties, and then select the Symbology tab. Click on Add values at the bottom of the dialog box, and select the county you are interested in, and click Add. Now there are a couple of different rows in the Symbology dialog box - one row for "all other values" and one row for your county. Make sure the checkbox next to "all other values" is checked, and double click the symbol for that value (if nothing happens when you click on it you can right click and select Properties for All Symbols). In the Symbol Selector dialog box choose white as your fill color and also as your outline color, and click OK. Now double click the symbol next to the county that you added (or right click and select Properties for Selected Symbol(s)).  Change both the fill color and the outline color to "none." Click apply, and you'll be left with a polygon where the area of interest is hollow and the surrounding area(s) are masked. You can add your basemap underneath, and only your area of interest will be shown.

I hope this helps!
0 Kudos