Changing names within ArcGIS Online

Jump to solution
02-12-2020 07:43 AM
GISUser17
New Contributor

HI,

Is it possible to change the names of ArcGIS Online layers, web maps and web apps without breaking them.

For example,

Feature Layer called MyFeatureLayer_test

Web map called MyMap_test

Web app called MyWebApp_test

MyFeatureLayer_test is part of MyMap_test which is embedded in MyWebApp_test.

I want to remove the _test from each of the above. Will that break the connection between each component?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BenTurrell
Occasional Contributor III

Hey GIS User‌,

Those are display names and the linkages is done using ids. You shouldn't have any problems in renaming any of those.

Thanks,

Ben

If this answer has helpful please mark it as helpful. If this answer solved your question please mark it as the answer to help others who have the same question.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
BenTurrell
Occasional Contributor III

Hey GIS User‌,

Those are display names and the linkages is done using ids. You shouldn't have any problems in renaming any of those.

Thanks,

Ben

If this answer has helpful please mark it as helpful. If this answer solved your question please mark it as the answer to help others who have the same question.

GISUser17
New Contributor

Hi Ben,

Thanks very much. I did some testing and found that as well, but just wanted to check with those more knowledgeable.

Regards.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi GIS User,

You can save each layer as a portal item, that can be saved in your contents or in a group. 

What this dose is allow you allow you to open each item and edit them, such as the metadata, the name ext. 

If you have a web app or web map you should be able to change this, though the portal item name, if not open the Web map and save this again with the name you want. 

Changing the Web app name is depended on the application, if you have access to the original Web Builder application , you can choose to edit the Web App "item" this in from your contents list and change the name.

Please let me know if you need more clarification?

0 Kudos