Select to view content in your preferred language

CANT CREATE A GROUP!

06-07-2010 06:18 AM
IsaacWanasolo
New Contributor
I have tried to create a group under ArcGIS.com like a million times in vain! This is the message i have been getting in all attempts: 'getElementsByTagName(...).0.value' is null or not an object undefined

Can Someone help?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
MollyZurn
Esri Contributor
This looks like the error you get if you try to reuse a group name you've already used to create a group. Your group names need to be unique (to you). There could also be an issue with the characters you've used.

1. Verify that you don't already have a group with the same name.

2. If this group name is unique, can you reply here with the name so we can see if there are any problematic characters?

By the way, we are fixing the error message so it provides more useful information.
Thanks
Molly
0 Kudos
RobertLaBarbera
New Contributor II
I am getting the same error when I go to create a group as well...the error seems to be coming from the tagging portion.

'getElementsByTagName(...).0.value' is null or not an object undefined
0 Kudos
MollyZurn
Esri Contributor
There is a 250 character limit for group tags. Would this explain why you are seeing that error?

Molly
0 Kudos
RobertLaBarbera
New Contributor II
No, I am only submitting only 3 tags (words) separated by commas.  Now the error message that I am receiveing is different.  see below:

"Unable to create group: c805f07bb19b4e8c8ec0545106493624"

Do you have any idea what this could mean?

Thanks.
0 Kudos
RobertLaBarbera
New Contributor II
I think I solved my on issue.  I was attempting to copy a paste more than a few lines of text into the "summary" text box;  when I shortened the "blurb" the application accepted it.  It seems that ArcGIS Online likes only 2 lines of text in the "summary" section of groups.
0 Kudos
MollyZurn
Esri Contributor
Yes, there is a 180 character limit for the summary field in groups and item details.

-Molly
0 Kudos