Cannot save login credentials for secured service

04-23-2014 06:36 AM
MarkLeVeque
New Contributor
Until this morning I have been able to save login credentials to secure ArcGIS map services that I add to maps in ArcGIS Online.  Now this morning I am not getting that option any more, but instead must enter the credentials every time I open the map.

I note this in the help documentation:
. You can add secure services created with ArcGIS Server 10 SP1 and higher if you know the user name and password. You will be prompted for this information when you add a secure service to the map. Anybody viewing your map will also be prompted for the login.

This is different from what ArcGIS Online allowed as recently as a few days ago.  In the "What's New" section of ArcGIS Online Help I do not see any reference to any change regarding secure services.

Can someone please enlighten me on why I can't save the login credentials when I add the service?  If this feature has been removed, it will have a severe impact on the way we use ArcGIS Online.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
16 Replies
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
The level of support for ArcGIS Server has not changed. What version of ArcGIS Server are you running?

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
MarkLeVeque
New Contributor
The level of support for ArcGIS Server has not changed. What version of ArcGIS Server are you running?

Thanks,

Mike

We have version 10.1 of ArcGIS for Server.
0 Kudos
DavidTong
New Contributor
Hi,

Are you adding the secure service direct to a map, or referencing it through My Content?

Login details can only be saved through My Content. If you add it direct to a map you will always be asked for details.
Please find a workflow below:

• Go to My Content

• Add Item > On the Web

• Paste in the URL of the basemap

• ArcGIS Online will detect it�??s a secure service and ask you for the credentials and whether you want them stored.

• Click Add Item to save the service in My Content

• Go to the Map tab and create a new map

• Click Add > Search for layers

• Search for your service name

• Click Add to add it to your map

• If you want to use the map as a basemap then rather than clicking Add from the search results you need to click the name

• This open a new dialog box that allows you to �??Use As Basemap�?�

• The standard basemap is now replaced with your new map service

Regards,

Dave
0 Kudos
C_EHoward
Occasional Contributor III

Does it have to be secured on the service level or can it be at the folder level? What if you secure the service/folder after you publish the map-- how can you save credentials? I don't want to republish since I have  a lot of popups configured and I do not want to lose all that work

0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor

It has to be secured with ArcGIS Server Token based security and externally visible on the internet. Can you share the URL to your server? Like this:  https://<domain>/ArcGIS/rest/info

Is the token endpoint visible?

https://<domain>/ArcGIS/tokens

Who is your certificate provider? Self-signed certificates are not allowed.

Thanks,

Mike

0 Kudos
C_EHoward

Thanks for the response.

I have not enabled tokens on the service (as far as I know,ha). 

my token endpoint is visible. I have not used tokens in a while since my last app (a Flex viewer) used login/password to secure things. I am trying some different approaches now.

URL to server Server Info

Services are externally visible as long as you log in with a user that has access to the secured folder

certificate is network solutions I believe-- there was an issue way back about AGOL not being able to use them but supposedly that was resolved

0 Kudos
MikkelHylden
Occasional Contributor

CE

Did you ever get a response to this?  I have the same issue, where I have an existing service entered in a map that I really don't want to go through and completely reconfigure, but I need to be able to save the credentials now, which wasn't done at the time it was created.

Just trying to avoid the PITA and re-doing all the popups...

Thanks very much,

Mikkel

0 Kudos
C_EHoward

not specifically. I have had luck with creating content and then saving credentials there, and then updating the URL used in the map service in the AGO assistant. when you save credentials, it gives your service a new URL so yiu need to point yiur web map layers there, but it should save you the pain of readding.

0 Kudos
MikkelHylden
Occasional Contributor

Thanks - that's the route I've started going down, and seems to be the right way to go.

0 Kudos