Cannot Export a Hosted Feature Service to GDB once over 10GB

07-08-2022 08:00 AM
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

This has been going on for years but I am finally posting since we are totally stuck this year.

We collect a lot of photos.  Every year just after the service hits 10GB the Export to GDB starts to fail.

DougBrowning_0-1657291399633.png

It will sit like this Exporting for hours.  Then the Export button goes back to not greyed out and clickable again.

DougBrowning_3-1657291631475.png

The resulting file that is created is way smaller than it should be.

DougBrowning_2-1657291512027.png

Been trying for weeks.

This is also happening in my nightly backup script.  It fails on this line every night.

fsLink = gis.content.get(itemId)
result = fsLink.export("tempOut"+ HFSname, "File Geodatabase")

raise Exception("Could not export item: %s" % self.itemid)
Exception: Could not export item: 713e3aaef9674e34555555333b618

It fails in arcgis.gis here

if wait == True:
            status = "partial"
            while status != "completed":
                status = export_item.status(job_id=res["jobId"], job_type="export")
                if status["status"] == "failed":
                    raise Exception("Could not export item: %s" % self.itemid)

And again it leaves a export file in AGOL that is way too small.

Last year I could get some to download over 10 GB but pretty rare.  I also tried using REST in the past but that fails also once the file gets around 10 GB.

Next I took out all layers but photos and that usually works but photos are important to backup.

Most of the time now to get an export I have to make a replica and download that.  Not a great option.

Why is it failing at 10GB?  Does it have something to do with a AGOL limit - I think photos used to be 10GB.

We really need a nightly backup, and since none is available in AGOL strangely this is the only option.

Appreciate any input.  thanks!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
TonyDaSilva1
Occasional Contributor

This article suggests to export in chunks:
https://support.esri.com/en/technical-article/000014156

However I am also having problems exporting... I think it has to do with the size of the chunks which makes scripting this a little more challenging

0 Kudos
RhettZufelt
MVP Frequent Contributor

I'm not quite that large yet, but have had some issues with incomplete or errors on exporting my hosted feature layer.

However, so far, using the arcpy.management.Append to append the hosted feature data to a local geodatabase has been working fine so far.  Takes a long time, but seems to work better than my export attempts.

R_

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Yes we are doing some exports now using Feature Class to Feature class or even copy paste in Pro.

In most cases though we have 30-40 layer and tables plus 30 some relationship classes so it falls apart.

I do have some running until 18 GB so I am not sure why some have an issue. 

I have found that cleaning up any old replicas helps. Has anyone seen things like this help?

0 Kudos