Select to view content in your preferred language

Cannot alter sharing level for AGOL content

03-14-2022 06:27 AM
EthanMcIntosh
Emerging Contributor

On my ArcGIS Online organizational account, I am unable to alter the sharing permissions for any of the AGOL content I have created.  This seems to be a new issue, as I created a web map last week and was able to change it from private to Public (Everyone), and now today, when I click on the Share icon, the menu that appeared last week with those options does not appear anymore.  When I click on the icon, nothing happens.

mciethan_2-1647263984755.png

I tried clicking on the sharing icons for other content I've made in the past, and it's the same issue.  I have also tried signing into that account from multiple browsers (Firefox, Chrome, Edge), restarting my computer, and clearing my Firefox cache & cookies, all to no avail.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
BryndaHatch
Esri Contributor

Is it possible your user role was changed to Viewer or Data Editor?  Looking at this page, https://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-online/reference/roles.htm, it shows that users with those roles cannot share.

0 Kudos
EthanMcIntosh
Emerging Contributor

Thanks for the suggestion!  I just checked my profile, and my user type is GIS Professional Advanced, which should let me share things. 

I did notice that I was recently added to a "Role" with the following privileges.  These privileges look like they include some kind of sharing, but is it possible that this extra role that I was given recently could somehow override my existing user privileges?

EthanMcIntosh_0-1647479859778.png

0 Kudos
EthanMcIntosh
Emerging Contributor

Update: I contacted the administrator of my organization to revert me to my previous role, and that fixed the issue.  I didn't realize that even if your "User Type" is GIS Professional Advanced, it's your "Role" that ultimately determines what you can or can't do.