Can Web Map from ArcGIS Online be opened in Desktop and save back to ArcGIS Online?

12-08-2011 01:45 PM
LorenMuehlius
New Contributor III
I'm new to map services, so this is probably just an ignorance question and I may not get terminology correct. I opened a web map I created in ArcGIS Online in Desktop ArcGIS (Intermediate). I made some changes to it (turned labels on) and then tried to save it as a service back to ArcGIS Online (overwriting the old one). I wasn't able to figure out what server url to use, which probably just tells me it is something I can't do. Could someone just confirm this?
I assume if I had a subscription to ArcGIS Online for Organizations or was writing saving the service back to my own ArcGIS server, it would possible?
Thanks.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Currently when you open a web map in ArcMap in 10.0 or the upcoming 10.1 release, it gets converted to an ArcMap map document. Your map document contains the same map service layers as the web map and starting at 10.1, layers that are based on map notes or uploaded files get converted into file geodatabase feature classes that you can immediately work with. There's no automatic connection back to the web map in ArcGIS Online. Any changes that you make to the map you opened in ArcMap are just stored locally in your map document. So if you delete or add layers, or change how the service layers are drawn, that isn�??t reflect in the web map.

Having a subscription is what will allow you to publish your data into ArcGIS Online. From ArcGIS desktop, you'll be able to take your map documents and create web services out of them--initially, tiled map services and feature services.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
LorenMuehlius
New Contributor III
Thanks Mike. That answers my question.
0 Kudos