Select to view content in your preferred language

Can not connect to ArcGIS Online

09-06-2010 10:08 PM
JamieTill
Emerging Contributor
I have installed ArcGIS 10, however the option to sign in is greyed out in the File menu. If I click on ArcGIS Online from the File menu the ArcGIS Online box appears, it waits about 2 minutes and then says "unable to connect to the remote server".

I have tried putting in my username / password into the proxy settings in ArcCatlog, but there was no difference. I just want to use Bing Maps as a base layer. Has anyone else had this issue?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
26 Replies
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Frank,

I'm just wondering how you were able to connect to the internet through other applications, like a web browser, without this proxy information set on your system. IE, Chrome and Firefox will all use this system setting by default. So perhaps you manually configured it for your browser as well or you weren't using a web browser from this computer?

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
FrancisBoscoe
Emerging Contributor
I had the same information entered in the "Use automatic configuration script" box, which was sufficient for everything up until ArcGIS.
0 Kudos
MagnoliaGarcia
New Contributor
I'm having the same issues! 😞 How exactly did you do the tweeking? Hope someone could share some help. Thanks.
0 Kudos
LaydaAGOSTO
New Contributor
Hi, I had the same problem... installing Service Pack 3 solve it.
0 Kudos
JarrahMuller
New Contributor
I still have this problem.

I am using ArcView 10.0 Service Pack 3 through a proxy.

I have tried changing Internet Explorer proxy settings from 'automatically detect' to the actual proxy details. In both cases Internet Explorer can connect but ArcView cannot.

The ArcGIS connection test (File>Sign In...>Trouble Connecting?) shows the following (connection.png attached).

when I try ArcGIS online, i get the error shown in (ArcOnline.png attached). When I try to add a base map using File>Add Data, I get a blank window but no errors.

I am able to log in ok through ArcView File>Sign In...
0 Kudos
BertramOstendorf
New Contributor
I still have the same problem. With serivce pack 4 'Add Basemap' shows an empty dialog. Arcmap10 crashes when I try to sign in to ArcGIS online.  I can't even send an error report to ESRI.  My workaround with service pack 3 used to be to download basemaps (open never worked) from the ESRI web site and then add it to ArcMap. With service pack 4, ArcMap hangs when I try to do this.

Proxy settings work fine for all other programs (IE Expl., Firefox, R, Dropbox etc.)

Also, ArcMap works fine when I use a private network without proxy.
0 Kudos
NicholasMcWilliam
Emerging Contributor
I had something of the opposite problem (ArcGIS v10, SP5): I am not using a proxy server, nor is a proxy server set in IE or ArcCatalog, yet ArcMap would always ask me for a proxy log-in.

The solution I found in the end was: IE > Tools > Internet Options > Connections > LAN Settings > Automatically detect settings = OFF / unticked (it had been ON / ticked).
0 Kudos