Select to view content in your preferred language

bulk geocode service

05-28-2024 03:41 PM
Labels (1)
JayLarsen
Occasional Contributor II

I have to geocode about 500k addresses (all in AZ USA).

That should be around 20k credits.  Which is about $2400 worth of credits.

I thought there used to be an ESRI "bulk geocoding" service that was cheaper or something?

Is there a cheaper way to do this? That's a year's worth of AGOL subscription in credits alone...there must be a cheaper way?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

There is a free Census based geocode service, but it would need to be broken up into batches (Not sure it is worth it with that many records)

JayLarsen

Oh yeah? What's the URL?

Must be this one?

https://help.bdc.fcc.gov/hc/en-us/articles/5341095744283-How-to-Use-the-Census-Geocoder

Thanks!  Makes me think googling around a bit might turn something up...

0 Kudos
ConstantinePapadakis
New Contributor II

I have used the Google Reverse Geocode API with success.  You would use the Google Geocode API. Google has  tool to estimate your costs.  I I built a Excel Workbook template with a starter cell of some xml conversion language that includes the google api. I drop a table of coordinates from Pro to the workbook which auto converts the data.  Works well.  Let me know if you want the step by step youtube tutorial I followed.  

Also, you might try getting some quotes from vendors/ list aggregator type companies. 

JayLarsen

Thanks.  I checked the costs, and they're basically the same as ESRI, but with more data prep.

I'm a bit shocked there wasn't a cheaper solution anywhere that was attractive.

0 Kudos