bug: feature popup outline is mis-shapen in ArcGIS Online

Jump to solution
08-23-2018 10:48 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

bug: popup outline is mis-shapen in ArcGIS but works fine in 3.25 sandbox 

The original thread above I put in JS API initially based on my first experiences with this bug. So it is ok to delete the first one.  However, it appears to be more a function of a bug with ArcGIS Server 10.6.1 or what runs AGOL.  

The bug:  Add a polygon layer to ArcGIS  in a web map. Enable its popup, and click it. The outline is way off and misaligned and warped in shape, as shown below.  Esri TS has reproduced this, and assigned bug ID is # BUG-000115968.

Although it works fine in the 3.25 sandbox  (as in this example). Thus it would seem AGOL introduced some sort of geometry simplification and/or projection issue with the July 2018 AGOL update.

One solution Esri could use to fix this, would be to simply re-draw the feature halo on a 'zoom-in' event, so that the geometry could be simplified at small scale and re-drawn with more vertices if zoomed in to.  pseudo-code: IF zoom-in event THEN re-request feature geometry via json and progressively request more detail and vertices. And perhaps with a minimum cap. If it's a simple property with a dozen or two vertices, no need to ever simplify, just request them all once.

This happens with a simple web map and even with a layer in web mercator.  I also saw the effect on services from our 10.51 and 10.61 servers, both from SDE in state plane and a GDB in web mercator respectively, in poly layers in web maps.   This would cause an end user to not trust the spatial accuracy of the entire platform.  If someone clicks a property in a viewer and the lines get warped, I will be getting calls. Fortunately our current viewer uses Robert's eSearch which does not have this problem when highlighting a feature(s) geometry. 

Tech Support has simply said it is submitted and can't say more; our rep said it may wait on 10.6.2.  I hope this can be elevated to the uber ninjas in dev team. I asked Tech Support and they said to use Elevate in My Esri but that button is ironically literally missing. 

note: this was when adding it as dynamic mapserver.

Kelly Gerrow‌ fyi

0 Kudos
20 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Until today, the web map was affected (as in the screen shot above) because from my understanding AGOL was running 10.6.1. And it was over-quantizing.  I must presume they are now on 10.6.2 internally. Because now it shows fine in a plain web map. But, the popup geometry is terribly warped in my WAB DE viewer still.

I did the EAC thing, and through various kinds of testing. They originally suggested it was API and downgrading to 3.24 would solve it. I cross-checked by down-grading the API in env.js to 3.24; no effect. https://cloud.sagis.org/sagisnext324/ (and on the flip side it works as in the 3.25 sandbox demo link I had above) Then they said it's AGOL itself and will be fixed. After the 9/18 update it works in the web map but the same layer in my WAB DE 2.9 viewer above is warped.  I surmise 10.6.1 is the bug source??

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Yes it does sound like you will have to wait for 10.6.2.

ChrisWhitmore
Esri Regular Contributor

The issue was within the jsapi..updating to the latest WAB dev version once it's released in the next couple weeks should resolve it. It works in agol now because apps hosted in agol (WAB hosted version, map viewer, configurable apps, etc) reference the latest jsapi (which is always updated with a new, incremented version as part of the general agol release).

The WAB dev version points to the previous version of the jsapi (or more specifically, the latest version of the jsapi at the time the WAB dev version is made available for download). So once updated to the latest WAB dev version, it will include references to the latest jsapi version which includes this fix.

Hope this helps clear up the differing behavior.

Cheers, 

Chris

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Chris,

So downgrading to WAB Dev to 3.24 does not help like Kevin already mention only upgarding to use 3.26 will help?

0 Kudos
ChrisWhitmore
Esri Regular Contributor

There's a server-side aspect as well. I believe the bug was related to support for a new property on map service layers introduced at 10.6.1 (quantizationParameters). Likely this was a latent issue in 3.24 but not too many folks had 10.6.1 yet for it to be exposed. 

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Chris, yes, it was the quantization. (Which is a fantastic idea to have for drawing performance, however, it should not be used to highlight a single feature unless it has thousands of vertices, as I suggest in the top post I would recommend a test for a minimum number of vertices before kicking in quantization, and perhaps let programmers adjust that with the Server's hidden JSON config panel for the REST settings for a service)  

I would like to add, this illustrates the absolute brilliance of the WAB architecture in its modularity. Allowing great 3rd party widgets like Robert's and correcting bugs with updated code or API and modules on the fly like this... hats off to Moxie & team. My next adventure will probably be doing a Build and using the optimizer thing they showed off this year to boost loading speed.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Chris Whitmore‌ & Robert - perfect. That fixes it. Thank you. 3.26 example - ArcGIS Web Application 

Before 3.26 was out they had had me test 3.24 so I had already had that example (as posted in EAC forum) but had not tested 3.26 yet, and was thinking it was Server. It is curious it never impacted the Sandbox. Must be some interaction between the API and WAB versions.  Thanks both. Have a great day!

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

This bug still is present in part. On further testing for a release candidate for my site, I noticed it still happens about 1 of every 5 to 10 clicks. (the 'warping' as per the original post, was on every click, for reference, before it was partially fixed in API 3.26) 

I noticed it on the parcel layer which is on by default.  I called Tech Support, they could not repro, but I repro'd on several machines here on Chrome on Win 10.   So, there are 3 things this bug causes.  I hypothesize these are related to the data geometry generalization bug in my first post above. For the original quantization/generalization bug TS said it was resolved by switching WAB to use API 3.26. But I still see the issues below. Also note, I bumped the API to version 3.27 in env.js and it still happened.

1. When you click a parcel, occasionally it will highlight only part of the parcel. 

1. If this happens, it also often is warped or shifted. Especially if you move the map or popup, it will ‘snap’ away and shift away as shown below.  

1. Lastly, a third bug was noticed.  Sometimes when you click a parcel, it simply doesn’t highlight, at all, such as shown below.

Interestingly I don't see this happen in MS Edge. Just Chrome.  And, it happens on my screen with no zoom and 100% page size. (I have some monitors zoomed with Windows zoom but I have a reference monitor to test and it still happens on it in Chrome)

Also, this happens to viewers in WAB 2.5 with services from our internal server on 10.5.1 so it's not necessarily just 10.6.x causing this. It appears to be more of a JS API 3.2x bug. 

The Support analyst said this bug is “fixed”.  We have to upgrade to ArcGIS Server 10.7.  He could not say when 10.7 is coming out.  That is untenable. Will a fix from API 3.28 be able to address this issue? 

Kelly Gerrow Katie Cullen

Chris Whitmore‌ I understand the Server/Enterprise aspect to generating the new geometry generalization property but upgrading a production server may not be possible for some time. Do you think a fix solely from the API can address it?

If I may recommend - I believe I have a way to fix this from a design view:

First - do not trigger the generalization until you hit a certain number of vertices on a feature or on all features in the extent, perhaps 500 or 1,000.  Modern devices including mobile could handle that; perhaps the number could be based on some cross-platform testing. And let this be a programmable parameter, whether to trigger generalization after certain number of vertices and/or draw scale; with developers deciding that number or scale.

Second, let programmers simply have the option to turn this off. (that could be the 'hot fix' for API 3.28 at least, so we can turn this off until it's truly fixed and implemented)

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

:::update 12/4/18::::

I also see this bug where the parcel doesn't highlight cyan, in a plain old web map from a 10.6.1 service and 10.5.1 service.  It takes a few clicks clicking around but it happens after about 10.  I am thinking this is all related, given that all of it is regarding the popup cyan highlight.

10.51:

I don't know if this is caused only by a bug in Server 10.51 / 10.61 or if it is caused by or amplified by the JS API. 

But I hope a fix from the JS API end can resolve this. That would be better than having to install a server patch on production machines. 

I have been in touch with our Solution Engineer and TS and they've been great working with me diligently. They found this patch but since it is for Portal I don't know if it would help. Esri Support Portal for ArcGIS 10.6 (10.6.1)  (Should I install it?)  And we will not be able to upgrade our internal 10.5.1 machine for a while so hopefully an API update can resolve it. It is looking like we'll need the API Engineering team to weigh in here.

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hello,

There are two issues mentioned in this blog that result in similar issues but are resolved indifferent ways. 

1. There was a bug in the Java script API, which was fixed in ArcGIS Online last release (September 2019) and can be fixed through a patch to Enterprise 10.6.1

Esri Support Portal for ArcGIS 10.6 (10.6.1)  This isn't an issue that was identified with ArcGIs Enterprise 10.5.1, so if you are running into this issue please check out the second issue or get in contact with Technical Support for more information.

2. Google Chrome V. 70, introduced an issue where features shift. This has been fixed in Chrome V 71 and 72. Chrome 71 should be released soon. For updates, check out this status page:Chrome Platform Status 

As this fix needs to be implemented in the browser, we suggest using a different browser or waiting for the new version. If you are experiencing the issue in a different browser, please get in touch with technical support to narrow down what is causing the issue.

Here is a link to the bug logged from the chrome issue:

BUG-000117959: In a Google Chrome web browser, an individual map se.. 

Please let us know if you have questions,

-Kelly