Best Practices and Overwriting vector tile service with arcpy

06-08-2022 08:54 AM
Tiffany_Wu
New Contributor III

I am working to publish a vector tile layer to reduce storage size and drawing/loading times that will be a visual layer in my map. It is a nation-wide dataset that is quite large, so I will need to minimize storage size. I am fairly new to tiles and wanted to ask about best practices and what might be the most efficient workflow for my project.

To automate the process, I am writing a Python script that will do the analysis and overwrite the tile layer. Is there any one method, and way of building the tile layer, that is best supported by recent Python functions and scripts? For example, I know that the "getWebLayerSharingDraft" function is newer and more efficient than the other "CreateWebLayerSDDraft" function. 

Do vector tile layers take up less space than tile layers, generally? Does including a hosted feature layer with the vector tile layer increase the file size? I would need the tiling scheme to go from continent to houses, so a pretty wide range. Currently I have two tile layers, one as a vector tile layer (ranging from 60MB to 140MB depending on tiling scheme) and one as a normal tile layer (8MB only) to divide up visibility scales but it would be great to combine the two.

Any advice is much appreciated, thank you!

0 Kudos
0 Replies