Select to view content in your preferred language

Best method for uploading multiple layers individualy to ArcGIS Online?

09-27-2013 09:11 AM
DavidMedeiros
Frequent Contributor
I have an ArcMap mxd with a dozen or so layers that I want to publish to ArcGIS online as individual feature services (rather than publishing the entire mxd as a feature service).

What is the fastest way to move these layers to my ArcGIS online account so they can be used in a Web Map?

It seems like options for uploading are:

• Create a Layer package that publishes online, but this seems to only create a downloadable version of the layer, not one that can be added to a web map.

• Export each layer to .shp, but this requires separate zip folders for each layer (not a big deal but not super convenient).

• Create a separate mxd for each layer (also not very convenient).

• Or???

Ideally, I'd like to keep the symbology I set in ArcGIS when uploading these layers, but that doesn't seem to be possible. I'll probably export to zipped .shp files but was hoping there might be another option.

Thanks,
David
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
TimWitt
Deactivated User
David,

I think the fastest way to have an empty mxd open, while you have an mxd open with all your layers. Drag and drop a layer into your empty mxd, upload it, remove it from your mxd, drag and drop the next layer into your empty mxd... and so on. This will keep the symbology.

Hope this helps!

This is only possible if you have an organizational account.
0 Kudos
DavidMedeiros
Frequent Contributor
David,

I think the fastest way to have an empty mxd open, while you have an mxd open with all your layers. Drag and drop a layer into your empty mxd, upload it, remove it from your mxd, drag and drop the next layer into your empty mxd... and so on. This will keep the symbology.

Hope this helps!

This is only possible if you have an organizational account.

Brilliant. I think that will work. I'll give it a try and report back.

Thanks,
David.
0 Kudos
DavidMedeiros
Frequent Contributor
Brilliant. I think that will work. I'll give it a try and report back.

Thanks,
David.

Doesn't work. If I have custom symbology set the dragged over layer losses its connection the data file and is sourced to C:\windows\basemap.gdb

If I drag over a default version of the same layer it will be sourced correctly and draw. I just need to resource in the new mxd, but I don't understand why that is happening.
0 Kudos
TimWitt
Deactivated User
What if you do a "Save As" on your MXD that contains all your layers. Then Delete all layers but the one you want to upload. Once that is done, remove that layer and drag and drop the next one into that MXD. Maybe that lets it maintain connection to your custom symbols?
0 Kudos
ScottAulen2
Deactivated User
Not sure if you found your solution or not but you can select all but one layer, remove them from the map, upload your service, and then undo (CTRL+Z) remove layers bringing them all back.  Repeat for other layers.  A bit of a nuisance but the the best option I've discovered so far.

Scott
0 Kudos