Basemap without labels...no, really without labels

Jump to solution
02-10-2016 11:09 AM
JoanneMcGraw
Occasional Contributor III

There are a number of posts of people looking for basemaps without labels and replies talking about the various services available. One idea came up a few times suggesting you could load the base of an ESRI Basemap directly and simply not load its corresponding reference layer.

From what I can tell, though, most of bases actually have text (for example, Canvas/World_Light_Gray_Base (MapServer)). I don't suppose there really is a light gray base kicking about somewhere that really doesn't have labels?

Cheers,

jtm

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

If you want to create your own custom style using the vector basemaps you could disable the labels in your custom style.

How to Customize Esri Vector Basemaps | ArcGIS Blog

View solution in original post

10 Replies
VenusScott

Here, here! Really...no labels basemap needed.

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

If you want to create your own custom style using the vector basemaps you could disable the labels in your custom style.

How to Customize Esri Vector Basemaps | ArcGIS Blog

VenusScott

Oooo...time to play!

Thanks!

0 Kudos
JoanneMcGraw

Thanks for the suggestion, Russell! Works like a charm.

deleted-user-sYHsW3p_gN5o
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Russell, Do you know if this exists for the new vector basemaps? I'm trying to find the World topographic maps with no labels.

0 Kudos
MatthewBaber
Esri Contributor

Here is a blog on how to do this: Using basemaps without reference layers | ArcGIS Blog

Includes directions specific to light gray canvas. Hope this helps.

JoanneMcGraw

Thanks for the link, Matthew, but unfortunately that blog discusses how to add a basemap that does have labels. As I noted in my initial post, many people have already suggested what it does with respect to not including the reference layer, but that was not what I was looking for.

So, to anyone who's looking for a basemap with no labels ("no, really no labels"), you can skip the blog post above. Russell Robers response about Vector Basemaps actually delivered.

Cheers,

jtm

0 Kudos
Marie_Ducharme
New Contributor III

Any evolution on this....almost all the base maps have labels, feels like there is a need/desire for basemaps with NO labels

tnguyen
New Contributor

The ArcGIS Vector Tile Style Editor web application allows us to generate new styles that can be used as basemaps in our projects: 

I found this to be the best way: 

https://support.esri.com/en-us/knowledge-base/how-to-customize-default-basemaps-without-labels-00002... 

You can't exactly turn the labels "off", but you can turn layers on and off AND make labels smaller so that they "disappear". 

Hope this helps!

0 Kudos