'Basemap not available' when loading map in ArcGIS Online

03-29-2016 11:13 AM
GavinMayeda
Occasional Contributor II

I have created a map in ArcGIS Online and I have shared this map with my organization.  The person that this map is intended for has tried several times to open the map and is receiving the message "Basemap is not available.  Displaying the default basemap instead."

She is receiving this message when trying to open the map in Google Chrome (not IE 11).  I am able to open the map without issues in IE 11 and Chrome, but I receive this same message in Firefox.

Does anyone have any idea what is causing this, or have a workaround?  My office frowns on installing multiple browsers (Firefox is highly frowned upon).

As always, thank you all in advance for any insight!

Dell OptiPlex 9010

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40 GHz

8.0 GB RAM

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit OS

AMD Radeon HD 7570

Dual Dell U2414H Monitors

0 Kudos
23 Replies
GavinMayeda

Hi Kelly,

Unfortunately I can't share the map outside of our office because it shares sensitive tax-payer data.  I will be creating an application using a similar map in the future that will not contain this data for public use, but that doesn't really help me in this instance.  I think that for now avoiding editing the map in Chrome or Firefox is our best option.

Thank you for all of your help!

0 Kudos
SamanthaO_Neil
New Contributor II

Did you ever get this resolved? I am having the same issue. My map works fine with IE 11 but I get the above error with Chrome.

0 Kudos
GavinMayeda

Hi Samantha, no it hasn't been resolved yet.  Unfortunately my office uses Google Chrome more often than IE, and that seems to be where the problem lies.  I did find that when I use the map in web application though there isn't a problem with the background.  I wanted one of our programmers to have access to the map itself because she wanted to do a bunch of testing with it.

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Can you share your web map? Is the underlying basemap shared publicly?

0 Kudos
GavinMayeda

Kelly, unfortunately I can't share the map due to the tax information that it contains.  The underlying basemap is the standard ESRI 'Streets', and it appears that I'm not the only one having that problem.  The problem does seem to be centered around Google Chrome though.

0 Kudos
SamanthaO_Neil
New Contributor II

I was able to get the basemaps to work again with Chrome(I had to delete cache several times and log out and log back in) but I am still having an issue with Firefox. My AGOL map is not public but here is a link to our public map where the ESRI basemaps currently do not show up in Firefox. The issue has to do with CORS (cross origin request). I have the CORS extension and plugin enabled for Chrome and Firefox.

http://gis.greenegovernment.com/giswebmap/

Example of error I receive in Firefox "inspect element":

Cross-Origin Request Blocked: The Same Origin Policy disallows reading the remote resource at http://services.arcgisonline.com/ArcGIS/rest/services/World_Topo_Map/MapServer/tilemap/2/0/0/8/8. (Reason: CORS header 'Access-Control-Allow-Origin' missing).

Also, along with the basemaps not working I was not able to Save anything in the EDIT SETTINGS tab in AGOL. This is now working in Chrome along with the basemaps but is an issue in Firefox, so somehow I think the CORS might be affecting that as well.

GavinMayeda

You have gotten further than I have Samantha.  We did both clear our cache, but still were getting the same error.  Right now I think we are all sticking to IE while working on the apps.

0 Kudos
SamanthaO_Neil
New Contributor II

I bet if you add and enable the CORS extension in your Google Chrome browser the ESRI basemaps will work. As far as it working with the web application, are you using an out of the box web app template? If so, it's possible that within the configuration files there is a line in the code that fixes the CORS issue.

0 Kudos
BrendanBladdick3
Esri Contributor

Don't know if this will fix this specific issue but I had a user that struggled with opening a map she created a while back that was trying to load a basemap that is no longer available and it gave the error: "basemap is not available displaying the default basemap instead" and then it renamed the map to "My Map" and removed all layers that were associated essentially marking it as useless or corrupt.

To Fix:

1. Go to your ArcGIS Online My Content and locate the web map that needs repairing

2. Open your corrupted web map by going through "open in map viewer" and wait for it to give you that "basemap is not available. displaying the default basemap instead." error
3. Click "OK" on the error and paste this after the URL "&basemapUrl=https://services.arcgisonline.com/ArcGIS/rest/services/World_Imagery/MapServer" then press enter
4. Your layers should show up and the new basemap should as well, press Save as soon as you can and then you have a fully functional web map again!

CoryBlackEagle1
New Contributor II

I am now having this same problem in ArcGIS Online.  It started suddenly 3 days ago.  I had just added a layer I created in ArcMap 10.5.  I also had a major internet outage just after I added that layer.  I can't open my existing content because it says the basemap is unavailable.  Then, it says it is displaying the default basemap instead, but nothing displays.  If I try to open a new map, no basemap displays.  If I try to add any of the default basemaps, I get this.  

So, I click OK, and then I try to add a basemap, any basemap, from the Basemap button.  With every basemap option, I get an error saying Basemap <name> is not available.  If I try to add any other layer (Add > Search for Layers >any random content in ArcGIS Online or Living Atlas) from esri, it says the layer is unavailable.  If I add a layer from someone other than Esri, I can add it for ~50-75% of the time.

This is ONLY happening in Chrome.  I have tried clearing the cache.  I even uninstalled and reinstalled Chrome.  I tried the CORS extension.  Since it is clearly not a problem with our account, I have not even considered making any modifications to ArcGIS Online (I am an administrator but do not have call authority so esri tech support can't talk to me).  Since I am able to do everything with no problems in Microsoft Edge at home as well as on my laptop in Chrome and on the school computer I use for teaching class, this is clearly limited to just Chrome on my desktop.  Unfortunately, my desktop is my prime work station for all lesson planning, and I heavily use ArcGIS Online in my classes.  I am very hamstrung at this point.

I would surely appreciate it if anyone has any ideas.   Thank you!