Select to view content in your preferred language

Attribute Rules with ArcPro and ArcGIS Online

12-11-2023 07:42 AM
TomKukitz
New Contributor III

Does anyone know if/when Attribute Rules will work with ArcGIS Online? Small city and can't afford $25K/yr for Enterprise system. I currently use ArcMap with Attribute Assistant and I love it! So easy to use to populate fields with data from different layers. ArcPro with ArcGIS Online does not offer this capability, sadly enough. ArcMap is getting deprecated and if AR never works with AGO, I may as well switch to QGIS.

Tom

0 Kudos
2 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

There's talk of Attribute Rules coming to AGOL at some point, but I don't know when, exactly. But it is something I've heard about from multiple Esri staff members!

What's the context in which you want the Attribute Rules to work? You can configure Smart Forms in a web map that can do some of the same things, if your edits are happening  through AGOL.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
TomKukitz
New Contributor III

I use Attribute Assistant now in ArcMap to populate fields from pulls of various data in other layers, do calculations, etc. I cannot do this with ArcPro when editing feature layers in ArcPro, it will not make the edits using AR. So now I do twice the work, using ArcMap to edit local data then copy and paste it in feature layers in ArcPro. Editing in ArcPro is slow and cumbersome to begin with then you throw in manual slope calculations, and editing fields from other layers manually just becomes overly frustrating. So having AR make edits in feature layers would save a bunch of time, of course writing the AR is another time consuming project. Don’t understand why they don’t create methods as was done with AA, be so much easier. It’s almost as if none of the people who built Pro understand how to even use ArcMap. I am very frustrated with the direction Esri is going with ArcPro. ArcMap has been a staple for so many years and now they are reinventing the wheel. And of course once you spend a boat load of money on something you keep dumping boat loads of money into it. I have been in IT much of my life and have seen it many times. The toolbar in ArcPro compared to ArcMap is joke, it slow down the software so much. I guess you can do whatever you want when you are the only game in town. But it is what it is. I will just keep using ArcMap until it’s gone. And QGIS is getting better and better!

0 Kudos