Clip to basemap and save as new layer

Jump to solution
12-06-2023 11:33 AM
Labels (1)
ForrestStreeter
New Contributor

Utilizing ARcGIS Onine Mapviewer I have a desired basemap. the classic viewer and pro both do not support the changes effect changes that were applied to it.

I would like to clip the basemap to a shape and save that as a layer but do not see the basemap in Extract Data > Input Layers.

I would be happy to save the basemap as a layer without clipping too if that is possiable in Online Mapviewer.

Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
EmilyGeo
Esri Contributor

Hi @ForrestStreeter

If I'm following correctly, you've applied effects to a basemap in Map Viewer. You are correct, those effects are visible in Map Viewer, but not Map Viewer Classic. Classic is built on an older API and is not capable of rendering effects. 

If you'd like to save a copy of the basemap with the settings you've applied, one suggestion I have is save it in a Group Layer. To get started,

In the Basemap Pane,

1. Click to drill into the basemap
  2. Click the options to the right of the basemap layer name
  3. Select Move from Basemap

The basemap layer should appear in the layers pane. In the Layers Pane,

1. Click the options to the right of the basemap layer name
  2. Select Group
  3. Click the options to the right of the Group layer name
  4. Save the Group Layer

This will allow you to save and re-use the Group Layer. When you add the Group Layer to other maps in Map Viewer, the settings you configured, such as effects, are preserved. 

EmilyGeo_1-1701973808245.png

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
EmilyGeo
Esri Contributor

Hi @ForrestStreeter

If I'm following correctly, you've applied effects to a basemap in Map Viewer. You are correct, those effects are visible in Map Viewer, but not Map Viewer Classic. Classic is built on an older API and is not capable of rendering effects. 

If you'd like to save a copy of the basemap with the settings you've applied, one suggestion I have is save it in a Group Layer. To get started,

In the Basemap Pane,

1. Click to drill into the basemap
  2. Click the options to the right of the basemap layer name
  3. Select Move from Basemap

The basemap layer should appear in the layers pane. In the Layers Pane,

1. Click the options to the right of the basemap layer name
  2. Select Group
  3. Click the options to the right of the Group layer name
  4. Save the Group Layer

This will allow you to save and re-use the Group Layer. When you add the Group Layer to other maps in Map Viewer, the settings you configured, such as effects, are preserved. 

EmilyGeo_1-1701973808245.png

0 Kudos
ForrestStreeter
New Contributor

Thank you for the help. I indeed was able to make the basemap a new layer. I did first need to add an additional layer before being able to select Move from Basemap.

Unfortunately my end goal of using the layer in ArcGIS Pro or Classic Viewer (with the effects applied) did not work out. I was hoping that treating the basemap as a layer would somehow save the effects that had been applied to it, making it appear in either Pro or Classic.

0 Kudos