ArcOnline Dropping Polygon Points

Jump to solution
12-05-2019 09:10 AM
JacobWatson1
New Contributor III

Hello,

I am attempting to upload a shapefile to be included in an online map I am creating. Everytime I upload this specific shapefile, the polygons will lose a point.

This only happens when adding the file to ArcOnline, when viewing the shapefile from ArcGIS the shapefile is fine.

I have attempted to upload the shapefile a couple of times. I have tried naming the Zip file different, make new Zip files, and Exporting the Shapefile from a new MXD. This is the first time I have ran into this problem.

Has anyone else experienced this and have a solution?

I will include images of the issues to help show what exactly I am talking about. The first one being the correct and whole shapefile. The second being the broken one that is being shown on the map when uploaded.

Thank you

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JoeCatanzarita1
Occasional Contributor II

Jacob,

Thank you for providing that Drive link -- I was able to download the shapefile and upload the .zip to ArcGIS Online. I did this in two different ways, below is the result:

First, I uploaded the .zip to my ArcGIS Online Content and published it as a Hosted layer. I didn't have any issue with the display of the shapefile however I know you were interested in avoiding hosting. Second, I opened the ArcGIS Online Map Viewer > Add > Add Layer from File > browsed to downloaded .zip file. I made sure to select the option "Keep original features" instead of "Generalize features for web display" and then I imported the feature. 

I would suggest to try and view this in a different browser? Perhaps try clearing your current browser cache to see if functionality differs?

Joe

View solution in original post

7 Replies
JoeCatanzarita1

Jacob,

I'm not quite sure why some of the vertices are dropping off when uploading a .zip file to ArcGIS Online. With that being said, I'm interested to see if the same behavior exists when publishing the content from ArcMap/ArcGIS Pro to ArcGIS Online. Are you able to publish content from a desktop client to ArcGIS Online?

If you are able to publish, I'd recommend creating a test file geodatabase and import your shapefile into the file geodatabase as a feature class. After that, attempt to publish the newly created feature class to ArcGIS Online.

Cheers,

Joe

JacobWatson1
New Contributor III

Joe,

This method did work. I was hoping to avoid hosting a layer this small.

Any ideas on how to fix it so I could upload with out hosting? I can live with having to host this layer if there isn't a reasonable method of fixing it.

JoeCatanzarita1

I'm glad you were able to get this resolved via hosting! In regards to your question, I'm not quite sure why the shapefile itself isn't rendering correctly in ArcGIS Online. Are you able to share the shapefile with me so I can run some tests? 

jcatanzarita@esri.com

Joe

0 Kudos
JacobWatson1
New Contributor III

Sure, I can share the file. I do not see a way to host a file in this reply so hopefully this google drive link will work.

0 Kudos
JoeCatanzarita1

Jacob,

Thank you for providing that Drive link -- I was able to download the shapefile and upload the .zip to ArcGIS Online. I did this in two different ways, below is the result:

First, I uploaded the .zip to my ArcGIS Online Content and published it as a Hosted layer. I didn't have any issue with the display of the shapefile however I know you were interested in avoiding hosting. Second, I opened the ArcGIS Online Map Viewer > Add > Add Layer from File > browsed to downloaded .zip file. I made sure to select the option "Keep original features" instead of "Generalize features for web display" and then I imported the feature. 

I would suggest to try and view this in a different browser? Perhaps try clearing your current browser cache to see if functionality differs?

Joe

JacobWatson1
New Contributor III

It seems the simplest solution is always the best solution. Selecting the Keep Original Features options when uploading fixed the problem.

Thank you for exploring this more with me. I was just overthinking it completely.

Thanks for all the help!!

JoeCatanzarita1

Isn't that the truth! I'm glad I could assist in get the shapefile uploaded correctly.

Best of luck moving forward!

0 Kudos