ArcGIS Online: Why does sharing the “web map” while working with “map viewer” offer new plan for permissions?

Jump to solution
03-08-2020 08:51 PM
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

ArcGIS Online: Why does sharing the “web map” while working with “map viewer” offer new plan for permissions?

I couldn’t figure out why does sharing the “web map” while working with “map viewer” offer new plan for permissions that might not be consistent with what has been already set

----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Jamal,

When I share a Web Map using the Web Map Viewer to 'Everyone (public)' it automatically toggles on the organization as well. 

I would consider the two screenshots to be equivalent - both are shared publicly, thereby available to both the public and the organization. They appear to be consistent. We could also then onshare to groups for content management purposes.

There have been some changes to the sharing interfaces over recent updates. Personally I find them much clearer to know what group(s) content has been shared to, and better understand some of the group settings (e.g. Item Update Capability). These updates are visible in the screenshot to the left.

Share items—ArcGIS Online Help | Documentation 

Hope this helps.

Cheeers,

Chris

View solution in original post

4 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Jamal,

When I share a Web Map using the Web Map Viewer to 'Everyone (public)' it automatically toggles on the organization as well. 

I would consider the two screenshots to be equivalent - both are shared publicly, thereby available to both the public and the organization. They appear to be consistent. We could also then onshare to groups for content management purposes.

There have been some changes to the sharing interfaces over recent updates. Personally I find them much clearer to know what group(s) content has been shared to, and better understand some of the group settings (e.g. Item Update Capability). These updates are visible in the screenshot to the left.

Share items—ArcGIS Online Help | Documentation 

Hope this helps.

Cheeers,

Chris

JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

It is clear now. Thank you Chris for the help.

I observed that changing the permissions from the “web map viewer” are reflected directly to the permissions set for the web map on the content.

Jamal Numan
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

That's correct.

Remember when sharing that both the Web Map and its layers need to be accessible to the user accessing the map.

I.e. if we were sharing the Web Map to our organisation, the layer items in the map also need to be shared to the organization (or publicly) to allow access to the content.

If your post is resolved, please mark the comment as the correct answer for other users reference.

Thanks,

Chris

JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

Done. Appreciated

Jamal Numan