ArcGIS Online Web Map Copying

03-27-2020 08:24 AM
MichelleCouden
Occasional Contributor

How do you copy a Web Map without losing any Web Map Application functionality? We have a traffic map to update every year. I need to copy everything to save all work done.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Egge-Jan_Pollé
MVP Regular Contributor

Hi Michelle Couden,

I think you have to make a distinction here between the Feature Layers, the Web Map and the Web Mapping Application.

It is the Feature Layers that contains the data for a certain year, say 2020.

You combine these Feature Layers together with a basemap layer into a Web Map. And this Web Map will be presented in a Web Mapping Application.

It is the app that contains all the functionality (zoom in, zoom out, search, layer control, legend, etc.)

The only thing you will have to do early next year is to publish the Feature Layers for 2021 and update the Web Map with these new layers (removing the 2020 ones). In this way your Web Mapping Application will stay entirely as it is, automatically showing the new 2021 data. And you have a backup of your 2020 data as long as you do not delete these Feature Layers.

Is this an answer to your question?

BR,

Egge-Jan

MichelleCouden
Occasional Contributor

Actually, you start in a new map with your new traffic layer make all the breaks and pop up stuff you want. Then you attach it to an old application so you save all of your widgets and what not. This program is very hard without a good help menu.

0 Kudos
Egge-Jan_Pollé
MVP Regular Contributor

Hi Michelle Couden,

Yes, you are right. In my workflow I did update the Web Map, but you can also create a new Web Map and add that to an existing Web Mapping Application, as you did.

There is quite some documentation available online, but yeah, it remains complicated stuff, web mapping. That's what we are GIS professionals for 🙂

And the community is there to help.

Good luck,

Egge-Jan

Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Egge-Jan Pollé‌, gotta keep ourselves useful and stay employed somehow! 😜

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek