ArcGIS Online Trash Bin

Jump to solution
12-31-2014 09:19 AM
AnnetteGinocchetti
New Contributor II

Does anyone know if it is possible to recover deleted web maps and web map applications from ArcGIS Online? If you were able to find the AGOL universal recycling bin or trash please let me know. Thank You  :]

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Annette,

Unfortunately, there is no trash bin in ArcGIS Online. If an item is deleted, it is permanently deleted. If you are working with web maps and data that you do not want deleted, it's recommended to enable delete protection on the item as outlined in this help document.

If a trash folder is something that you would like to see implemented in the software in the future, please promote and comment on the following idea on the ideas site: ArcGIS Online Trash Bin http://ideas.arcgis.com/ideaView?id=087E00000005BkgIAE.

Please let me know if you have any quesitons,

Thanks,

Kelly

View solution in original post

5 Replies
KellyGerrow

Hi Annette,

Unfortunately, there is no trash bin in ArcGIS Online. If an item is deleted, it is permanently deleted. If you are working with web maps and data that you do not want deleted, it's recommended to enable delete protection on the item as outlined in this help document.

If a trash folder is something that you would like to see implemented in the software in the future, please promote and comment on the following idea on the ideas site: ArcGIS Online Trash Bin http://ideas.arcgis.com/ideaView?id=087E00000005BkgIAE.

Please let me know if you have any quesitons,

Thanks,

Kelly

AnnetteGinocchetti
New Contributor II

Thank You so much Kelly!

I tried responding to you sooner through my iPhone but I think the GeoNet forum is a little buggy yet.

I'm not sure if I'm just finding this community or what but I think it's fantastic. Believe it or not I found my "dislocated" apps in a folder under my AGOL account, so they were not deleted. Regardless I'm glad I asked and I will make sure I  am super cautious in the future.

Thanks for accepting my LinkedIn invite as well!  Happy #TrimbleTuesday!

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow

Hi Annette,

I'm so happy that you were able to find your apps and that they weren't deleted. Hopefully we can work towards getting something like a trash can just in case also.

Have a great week!

Kelly

0 Kudos
NeillJobe
Occasional Contributor II

With Admin Tools for ArcGIS Online you can EXPORT your webmaps to JSON and then IMPORT them from JSON. So once you have your maps and apps the way you want them go ahead and export them to JSON backing them up on your computer. If one ever became corrupt or you needed to revert back to an earlier version just use the Import from JSON.

Neill

AnnetteGinocchetti
New Contributor II

Thanks Neil! I will definitely look into JSON as an added backup.

0 Kudos