ArcGIS Online slow performance for class use

12-09-2019 10:07 AM
KatyAppleton1
Occasional Contributor II

Does anyone else notice ArcGIs Online performing slowly when a whole class is using it? I have 60-80 undergraduate students working through a set exercise, i.e. all are doing the same operations on the same input data. We are finding that buffers take in excess of 10 minutes, sometimes much longer, when for me it was under a minute when setting up the exercise. As you can imagine, this is highly frustrating and is putting the students off using the service in future.

Is this a known issue, and, more importantly, is there anything we can do to speed things up?

I have tried getting students to save off their own copies of the input layers before running analysis processes, and it does not seem to help.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DouglasCochran

We have not typically seen this reported and ArcGIS Online averages tens of thousands of users an hour. It could be something within your internal infrastructure? Let's investigate this further by contacting Esri technical support

0 Kudos
KatyAppleton1

Apologies for the delayed reply due to the festive break. I raised it with Esri UK support who said much the same. From subsequent classes it does seem to be a local network inadequacy, as a couple of students running their own laptops at the same time, using the wireless network, saw no slowdown. Only those using lab desktop machines on the wired network were affected.

I will pursue with our local IT, but I expect more questions from them about the typical traffic generated, which UK support have not answered. What I am not sure about is the traffic flow for running something like a buffer. I (naively) assumed it was something like: the command is sent from the local machine, the tool runs on a server somewhere using the input also held in the cloud, creates the output in the cloud and then that output is delivered back to the local user. In that situation the only network traffic is sending the command and receiving the output, which seems trivial (the layers are very simple), so I don't understand the slowdown. There must be more to it?

I'm happy to accept it's not an AGOL limitation, but it would still be useful to know if anyone else has experienced the same and seen it resolved through network infrastructure improvements.

0 Kudos
PaulHolloway1
New Contributor

Katy - did you ever figure this out? I'm seeing a similar thing...

0 Kudos