ArcGIS Online labeling problem with halos

06-11-2019 01:14 PM
DanielSampson
New Contributor II

Hi AGOL uses,

Has anyone had a problem with ArcGIS Online's labeling where when a halo is set, some of the labels display more "weakly" than others. In the example below, you can see that two of the labels aren't right. This happens regardless of font size, halo size, color, etc. The problem seems tied to specific features; all features are very boring all 2 pixel wide transect lines.

If I remove the halos, no problem but without them, many of labels got lost in the differently colored shore and water interface.

Advice? At least commiserate if you've seen this! Thanks.# 

Problem with ArcGIS Online label display using halos

6 Replies
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Wow that's crazy, I JUST made a web map a few minutes ago and noticed this behavior for the first time. We were labeling contour lines. No idea what's causing it, but I'd love to find out!

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek
0 Kudos
DanielSampson
New Contributor II

I'll let you if I can figure this out. Can you do the same if you crack the nut first? Thank!

0 Kudos
DanielSampson
New Contributor II

See the reply from Douglas Cochran.

0 Kudos
RobinDiSalvo1
Occasional Contributor

Being a new user to ArcGIS Online I did this yesterday and thought it was natural and didn't like how it looked on my map.  Glad to know it's not just me.  Hope this can be fixed or my map will be exported without labels and no one is going to understand my message.

0 Kudos
DouglasCochran
Occasional Contributor II

This seems to be a known bug in Chrome, can you try another browser such as Firefox, IE, or Edge to see if the halo problem persists?

DanielSampson
New Contributor II

That's it- the halos are bold and beautiful in Edge, IE, and Firefox. Thank you! Is there a fix for this in the works?