Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcGIS Online Data Centers and reginal data hosting

3 weeks ago
Labels (2)
simoxu
by MVP Regular Contributor
MVP Regular Contributor

I stumbled upon the relevant issues a few years ago when there were no solutions. and I did some search recently to see if there are any updates on this.

I'd like to share what I found...

One thing that stops some organizations from adopting AGOL is the legislation requirements for the online data storage:  some countries require the sensitive data to be stored inside their country... but AGOL is hosted in AWS and AWS data centers are all over the world... It's hard to predict where your hosted data will be stored.

From AGOL December 2020 update, it introduced the "reginal data hosting", which allows you to choose United States, Europe, or Asia-Pacific as the region where your geospatial data will be stored.   This is very good, as it may help some users to fulfill their legislation obligations when using AGOL to store sensitive data.

The location option is still very limited though, you can't lock down your data to a particular country other than US.

What is regional data hosting?

European data hosting for new ArcGIS Online accounts - Resource Centre | Esri UK

Are you using this feature, what do you think? 

0 Kudos
0 Replies