ArcGIS Online - batch rename items

10-25-2017 12:59 PM
Will
by
Occasional Contributor II

I need to batch edit / retitle about 100 or so items' metadata records in ArcGIS Online (AGO).  I need to edit the Title, Summary, and Description for each item's metadata in the same way (changing the order of a set of words). I am an AGO admin for our organization and have some basic python skills.  What is the easiest way to do this?  Thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Hi William,

I would suggest using Jupyter Notebooks and ArcGIS API for Python to perform this task. It essentially uses Python on the backend of AGOL like you mentioned and you can do batch processing (from what I understand; I have not done this myself).

0 Kudos
Will
by
Occasional Contributor II

Thanks for the feedback, I have heard of this approach also but am unsure how to get started, if anyone has a few quick tips or an outline or code samples in particular it would be greatly appreciated.  Does this need to be done in a Jupyter Notebook or could this be done in PythonWin on the desktop?

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

As far as I know, you run this on the Jupyter Notebook which is a hosted service online that you use (not a program on your desktop). There are some samples you can download on the ArcGIS API for Python site here:

index | ArcGIS for Developers 

(though, I did not see a sample for batch renaming in the sample zip file).

0 Kudos