Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcGIS Online Basemaps not working

06-13-2011 10:08 AM
EricaJohnson1
New Contributor
I'm running ArcGIS 10 Desktop.  For about the last week, when I click the Add Data dropdown then select either Add Basemap or Add Data from ArcGIS Online my map locks up.  I haven't had any problems with this in the past.  Is there something going on with the server or is this something on my end?  Any ideas how to correct?
Thanks
Tags (2)
12 Replies
LoriCarpenter
New Contributor
I have the same issue.  When I click to add basemap nothing happens.  Previous projects that have the basemap in them still work and I can copy this basemap into a new project but cannot add a new basemap.  Please advise when this will be fixed.  Thanks!
0 Kudos
BrianIngalls
New Contributor II
I'm still having this issue, but I did discover something last week. It appears the online base maps are downloaded as a .lyr files when you access them from the ESRI service. I found .lyr files for each of the "online basemaps" I had accessed in the past in the "My Documents" folder...

C:\Documents and Settings\***username***\My Documents\ArcGIS\Packages

Now I can simply drag the basemap .lyr file into my map. For example, let�??s say I want the Bing Aerial photo back drop I had accessed via the online basemaps a few months ago. I browse to this directory above and find a folder called "Bing_Maps_Aerial.lpk1". I double click and open this folder to find the basemap .lyr file called "0000Basemap.lyr". Simply drag the .lyr file into your maps Table of Contents and your map will then downlaod and display the information.

Once I figured this out, I relocated these .lyr files to a directory where I store my other basemap .shp files so I can easily drag it into future maps.

It�??s not a fix, but it�??s a work-around that works for me. I hope it will help you all out too.

...Also, I've not tried this yet, but I wonder if clearing the "Display Cache" folder will fix this? I should test it before posting this, but I'm out of time and got to go and I don't want to spend time trouble shooting if it screws something up right now... Its located under "Customize" drop down window, then go to "ArcMap Options", then choose "Display Cache" tab.
DanielSotreanu
New Contributor III

Just hit this issue with ArcGis Portal 10.4.1. and didn't find any resolution on Esri Community.

I fixed it by setting the browser proxy to Auto-detect proxy settings for the network (Mozilla Firefox).

0 Kudos