ArcGIS online Arcade expressions - Unable to Append Data

05-08-2019 03:56 AM
PaulSweeney3
Occasional Contributor III

ArcGIS online Arcade expressions - Unable to Append Data

When performing calculation on layers in ArcGIS online using Arcade expressions I am often met with this error message(see image below) .It does not matter what calculation I perform it may be simply entering a single value or more complication expressions. I receive  the messages "inserting" and "committing" and then is fails.What could be the cause of this?

7 Replies
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

I haven't seen this type of error before. How many records do you have (just 2)? I have been able to calculate many thousands or records and it has been pretty fast. What is the source of the data? What type of field do you have? What Arcade expression have you used? Did you try the SQL option  for the calculation too? Same behavior?

0 Kudos
PaulSweeney3
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Xander Bakker‌ 

I happen to have just two in this data set as it was a test hosted feature , but this error has appeared over several data sources. This particular field is an integer but again i have seen this error in multiple field types. I used two types of expressions one was simply inserting  a common value of say "2", the other was more complicated  summing the total values  of  a column from another data source, using the feature set function and both failed. SQL option works for calculation , individual edits work and editing via ArcGIS pro also works. 

0 Kudos
NathanialWigington
New Contributor

I am having this same problem with trying to calculate "AreaGeodetic" Function on only 8 records. Field type is Double and using Arcade expression for this.

0 Kudos
XanderBakker

Hi Nathanial.Wigington ,

So you are saying you have the option to calculate the field using Arcade (no SQL) and it does not work? Any error message? What coordinate system is your data in?

0 Kudos
NathanialWigington
New Contributor

Yes, I have the option to calculate the field using Arcade but getting the same error message as Paul which is "Unable to append data". The hosted feature layer was created in AGOL and coordinate systems is Web Mercator. I was able to complete the same calculation with another hosted feature layer and got the data to append.

0 Kudos
XanderBakker

Hi Nathanial Wigington ,

Sounds to me that you are not doing anything wrong. If you can reach out to support that would be best.

0 Kudos
najeebhall
New Contributor III

I am having this same issue, my feature layer is generated by Survey123; my arcade code is :

if(!isEmpty($feature.material_requested) && isEmpty($feature.material_received))
{
return 'Material requested'
}
else{
return 'Other'
}

The test works fine but i get the unable to append error. editing is turned on for the layer

0 Kudos