ArcGIS Online -> The layer <layername> cannot be added to the map.

08-18-2013 03:37 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: Schlomm

Hello,
I have some problems with the functionality of some basic feature like viewing my stored web maps of my account within the ArcGIS Online portal.
I've created a map with ArcMap and published this map to my ArcGIS Server as well as to ArcGIS Online.
The service is up and running and I can view the map with the ArcGIS Java Script API (Link of ArcGIS REST Services Directory )
I also can view the map with "ArcGIS.com Map" if I click in the link in ArcGIS REST Services Directory.

Then I log on to the ArcGIS Online portal. There I can have a look for the map in my gallery. I can open the details, edit the descriptions, delete the map....
Within the map gallery site I have the Open-functions "Add to map", "Add to new map", "Open in ArcGIS Explorer Online" and "Open for ArcGIS for Desktop"....For now I'm only interested in the ArcGIS Online functions 😉

So...I open the map with "Add to new map", "Open in ArcGIS Explorer Online" and here's my problem: I get the error: The layer, <layername>, cannot be added to the map. The layer isn't either visible in the content tab.
There is also (sometimes?!) the problem that I can't add the layer via "Add->Add layer from web". I have no idea on which criteria this depends. In one map it work, in another not. Very frustrating...

So....any suggestions to solve the problem of displaying the layer while I'm logged in?
And any tipps why sometimes it's possible to add layer and sometimes not?
Thanks in advance,
Dominik
0 Kudos
7 Replies
PaulJordan
New Contributor III
I have been having this problem repeatedly over the last several days.  Sometimes it's a simple as recycling the web page to bring the missing layer in.  Other times, like you, I try to get it back with add data, and as you noted that doesn't always work either.
This is driving me batty and I wonder if it has anything to do with the rollout of ArcGIS server 10.2.  I started seeing this shortly after our Server was updated.  But I've been hitting the same problem with data from NOAA arcgis servers.

The really frustrating with it all is how inconsistent it seems to be.  Different layers may or may not load.  Sometimes they can be added back into the map, other times not.  I can't check these several times a day to see what is working at any given time and I have end users counting on the data.

Paul Jordan
RI Dept of Environmental Management
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: kafros

I've been having those problems with inconstancy displaying my map services in my ArcGIS.com maps for many months now.  Since mid-January of this year, to be exact.  I have found evidence online that using scripts within Firefox may be part of the problem, but I have yet to determine WHAT the setting is that needs to be tweaked to allow it to function properly.  Using IE appears to not be an issue, but that is not our primary browser.  If you find an answer, I'd be curious to hear the solution.
0 Kudos
DominikSchlarmann
Occasional Contributor
I've made further testing.
I've tried IE, Firefox and my primary browser Chrome.
With IE: I can view my webmap completely using the link from the Rest service site of my ArcGIS Server. When I'm logged in, I am not able to add the layer via the Add->Add layer function in ArcGIS Online. Here I get the mentioned error " The layer <layername> cannot be added to the map." ONly the standard and pre configured base map is visualized.
Firefox: Same
Chrome: Same.

So...I've looked around and found one interesting symbol:
Firefox: http://imgur.com/7f2KOt3  Click on the shield symbol left from the adress bar and diable protection. Refresh the page and add the layer via "Add->Add layer from web" again.
Chrome: http://imgur.com/s4FWttP Click on "Load unsafe scripts". Refresh the page and add the layer via "Add->Add layer from web" again.
IE: http://imgur.com/A7Fud2P (Sorry for german version), but should be the same procedure.

I haven't performed many tests, but for the moment, it seems that this has solved my problem.
Of course I will make further testing.
And yes....my test server doesn't use https for now, so after discovering these circumstances it more or less obvious.

Cheers,
Dominik
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: kafros

Thank you, Dominik!  That is a great help for my users to access layers more consistently!  I do get the impression this security bypass action has to be done every time the map/browser is loaded, though.  If you come up with a way to keep the setting in place permanently in the browsers for "https://[myOrg].maps.arcgis.com", please share.  I've tried a couple of attempts in IE, so far, but no luck.  At the very least, your solution works well as a way to avoid errors each time and get the job done! 

Much appreciated,
Kirsten
0 Kudos
DominikSchlarmann
Occasional Contributor
Hi,
I'm glad that this work-around is also working for you and your users 🙂
Until now I have no idea, how to keep these settings so that you don't have to click the shield-symbol everytime you want to access the map.

Is https enabled on your server? Of not, this could be a possible solution (haven't tested it).

Cheers,
Dominik
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: jrflannery

Hello:

We are have a similar issue.  I have added map services from our ArcGIS server as well as government agency map services to a �??My Content�?� folder in our organization and shared the services with our users.  For some, not all, services, we get the �??The layer, <layerName> - Query (x), cannot be added to the map.�?� error message.  For the two map services shown, below, this happens when the layers are �??Saved�?� in the TOC of the map and the map is opened and it happens when one attempts to �??Add�?� the map services to a map.  Either way, the map service is successfully added to the map and the service layers work fine.  It seems like an Error message for something that is not broken.  It is annoying, but the map service and layers do work.  This behavior is seen in Internet Explorer 10 and 11, and Chrome browsers.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]32083[/ATTACH]
0 Kudos
larrycamp
New Contributor III
This seems to happen to me after I have used the "overwrite an existing service" in the "Share as Service" dialog of ArcMap.  Is this not the correct way to update the feature layers that are published?  Meaning, I want to send a fresh layer to My Hosted Services with new features in it.

Am I doing it wrong?
0 Kudos