ArcGIS Online 7.4: Publishing with ArcGIS Online engine generates “feature layer” despite the fact that the editing option is disabled,

03-24-2020 01:22 AM
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

ArcGIS Online 7.4: Publishing with ArcGIS Online engine generates “feature layer” despite the fact that the editing option is disabled,

I couldn’t figure out why publishing with ArcGIS Online engine generates “feature layer” despite the fact that the editing option is disabled.

How one can publish with ArcGIS Online engine to get “map layer” (noneditable) instead of “feature layer” (editable)?

----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
7 Replies
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

The feature layer you published is not editable, but there are still benefits to publishing as a hosted feature layer if you need certain functionality. For instance, you can still display information in pop-ups.

However, if you only want the layer to be "view only", you should publish as a tile or vector tile layer. 

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

Thanks Katherine

It appears that the title and vector tile options have no service url

Jamal Numan
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

It looks like the browser at the very bottom of the screenshot is showing a Vector Tile Package. This is not a service, so it will not have a service URL. If you look at the Item Details page for a Hosted Tile Layer, you should be able to access the Service Directory by clicking on "Map Service" or the URL at the bottom of the page:

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

Unfortunately, it is not there for the “vector tile” as shown in the screenshot below

Jamal Numan
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Again, your screenshot is showing the Item Details page of the Vector Tile PackageGo to the Item Details page of the Tile Layer (hosted) "Trees_FC_Map", and you should find it. 

Best,
Katie

- Simon Sinek
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

This is very confusing. How come the “vector tile” is found under the “tile layer”!

Jamal Numan
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

So, to the best of my understanding, both "Tile" and "Vector Tile" layers create Hosted Tile Layers. The difference is the functionality that the layer has (see more details on this here: Tile layers—ArcGIS Online Help | Documentation )

I agree the terminology is a bit confusing at first, obviously I'm still learning all the nuances myself, otherwise I might be able to explain a bit better! haha

Best,
Katie

- Simon Sinek