Arcade Expressions and Symbolizing Points within a select polygon

07-23-2019 04:49 PM
RayDanser
New Contributor III

I am a beginner with Arcade expressions and I would like to only display points that are within certain polygons. I have points scattered across several large polygons and would like to only symbolize those points that intersect one polygon. How do I accomplish this without conducting a spatial join and adding a field to the point data set?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Ray Danser ,

When using Arcade and symbolizing data based on another layer, you will end up creating a field and doing a field calculation to extract the polygon name or id, since in the symbology profile you have no access to other features. You can however create a hosted feature layer view and select the points that are within that specific polygon: https://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-online/manage-data/create-hosted-views.htm

RayDanser
New Contributor III

I guess my question wasn't specific enough. I am currently working with 6 different applications that contain the same parent data sets. Each application contains a ward within my city's boundaries. The points span the entire city. Each ward application only needs the points that are within the boundaries of that ward to be visible. Unfortunately, I do not own the point data set, so adding a field containing ward information is not an option. The point data updates frequently, so creating a static layer is not an option. The FeatureSetByName function was my first thought, but that does not work with styling. Is this something that is possible without adding another field to the original data set? Something tells me that this sort of on-the-fly spatial query is not possible.

0 Kudos
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Ray Danser ,

Thanks for clarifying the situation. I would probably go for the hosted feature layer view to define areas that are relevant for each ward, but you will have to be the owner of the data to do that. Is it possible to reach out to the owner for this?

0 Kudos
RayDanser
New Contributor III

I sure do. Thank you for the assistance Xander! I just didn't want to be turning my wheels over here if I didn't have to. I appreciate your time!

0 Kudos
RayDanser
New Contributor III

Sorry. I just read my reply and realized it was not clear. I do know the owner of the data, so I will discuss further with them. Thanks again!