Select to view content in your preferred language

Applying a web style(s) to a web map and remaining the default ESRI styles

Jump to solution
06-12-2023 01:18 AM
RobinRutten_arc
Emerging Contributor

For I project, I have advanced symbology which are downgraded when I publish the layer as a feature layer to ArcGIS Online. 

For this reason, I created a simple style in ArcGIS Pro and uploaded it as a web style to ArcGIS Online. I managed to set the web style in the organizational settings to the style group. And now I am able to apply the symbology in the web map, which is what I wanted. But because this is only a style for one project, I don't want that all web maps in my organization are going to use this style. Is it possible to set the web style for only one group and keep the Esri default for the others? Another option, is possible it that I can have both Esri default as my own custom style in a web map?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

The default ones should be shared to the group you set under your org by default. If they are not getting shared can you share some details on the group configuration and if the org settings on sharing and access are configured?

If they aren't auto shared you can go to the group 

1. Go to the group and click on add items
  2. Change the search to ArcGIS Online and in the search box type/paste owner:"esri_webstyles"

3. Recommend sort by view count and only add the ones with the cloud/paintbrush icons is what I would suggest. Better web style filtering is coming this upcoming release. Select the web style items and click Add Item.

We plan to add an ad-hoc browse experience for web styles inside map viewer later this year which would solve this workflow where you have a specific style for a one-off project that doesn't need to be shared org. wide.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

The default ones should be shared to the group you set under your org by default. If they are not getting shared can you share some details on the group configuration and if the org settings on sharing and access are configured?

If they aren't auto shared you can go to the group 

1. Go to the group and click on add items
  2. Change the search to ArcGIS Online and in the search box type/paste owner:"esri_webstyles"

3. Recommend sort by view count and only add the ones with the cloud/paintbrush icons is what I would suggest. Better web style filtering is coming this upcoming release. Select the web style items and click Add Item.

We plan to add an ad-hoc browse experience for web styles inside map viewer later this year which would solve this workflow where you have a specific style for a one-off project that doesn't need to be shared org. wide.

RobinRutten_arc
Emerging Contributor

Thanks for your answer. This really helped. As a follow-up question: Is it possible to apply the symbology of the web style to a layer based on a value field? Similar to the tool Apply Symbology From Layer, in ArcGIS Pro?

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

Currently that tool functionality is not supported. If you are publishing from Pro and seeing the symbol downgraded do you have the option Use symbol types compatible with all clients  unchecked? If this is checked the symbol will get downgraded. 

0 Kudos