Any way to access token settings for data hosted in ArcGIS Online?

05-31-2016 12:42 PM
ISP_graynic
Occasional Contributor II

I have attachments (images) in a feature service stored in ArcGIS Online.  I am trying to reference the image URL in a Story Map.  It works great when you set it up.  The issue is, after a certain period of time, the images no longer show up in the Story Map as the token is invalid.  It looks like the tokens change on a regular basis so I have to go in and change the URL to reflect the newest token for each image.  Is there any way to set the time refresh that a new token is made for the feature like you can in ArcGIS Server?  I need to keep the token from being refreshed so often in the feature service and breaking the links in my Story Map.

Thank you!!!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi,

When a token is created, an expiration date and time is set. Once this time expires, the token will no longer be valid (max time is 2 weeks). If you reference images that require a token, the token will need to be updated frequently.

Can you provide some information about how you are setting up your story map?

-Is the feature service the source of data for the story map?

-Can the feature service be shared publicly?

Owen Evans

Thanks,

Kelly

ISP_graynic
Occasional Contributor II

Thanks for your help Kelly! 

The feature service that stores the images, is one of the layers in the web map which makes up the Story Map.  The feature service cannot be shared publicly, which is one of the main reasons I am storing the images in the feature service itself, and not on a public photo sharing service such as Flickr.

Do you know if there is anyway to automatically update the token in the URL so I don't have to update the URL with the new token every 2 weeks?  There are probably around 30 pictures in the Story Map.  I saw on the ArcGIS blog, where this summer ESRI is supposed to allow uploading of photos directly into web apps which will be beneficial when they release that. 

Thanks 

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi,

There is no way to automatically update the token with the current tools in ArcGIS Online, but you could look into customizing a process using a token generated using the Rest API. Feel free to log and support any ideas on ArcGIS Ideas​, that pertain to this topic. Ensure that you specify which Story Map app you are using, Map Tour, Map Journal, etc.

https://community.esri.com/ideas/11284

-Kelly