Select to view content in your preferred language

Allow Portal Access

Jump to solution
08-20-2018 05:22 AM
FinnianO_Connor
Occasional Contributor II

In the Security settings for an ArcGIS Online/Portal site there is an option called 'allow portal access'. I'm trying to understand exactly what this is for (and how to use it)? In ArcGIS Online if if add my Portal instance what does this mean? Can I now access AGOL content from Portal or does it work the other way around and I can access Portal content from AGOL? And how does this differ from creating and using a collaboration?

Many thanks,

Finnian

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Finnian,

This will allow members of your organization to use their enterprise logins to access the secure content when viewing it from these portals.

This means that members of those portal that you added can now see the secured AGOL content when they login to those Portals.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Finnian,

This is a clip for the help docs on that subject:

Configure security settings—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

Allow portal access

Configure a list of portals (for example https://otherportal.domain.com/arcgis) with which you want to share secure content. This will allow members of your organization to use their enterprise logins to access the secure content when viewing it from these portals. This is only applicable for portals at Portal for ArcGIS version 10.5 and later. This setting is not needed for sharing secured content between ArcGIS Online organizations. To share content privately between organizations, see Share items with another organization.

The portal URLs must be entered individually and must include the protocol. Wildcards cannot be used and are not accepted. If the portal being added allows both HTTP and HTTPS access, two URLs need to be added for that portal (for example http://otherportal.domain.com/arcgisand https://otherportal.domain.com/arcgis). Any portal added to the list is validated first and, therefore, must be accessible from the browser.

FinnianO_Connor

Hi Robert, thanks for the reply. I have gone through the help docs previously and added my Portal address to the settings in AGOL. But not sure what this exactly lets me do? Should I now be able to access AGOL content through a Portal web map?

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Finnian,

This will allow members of your organization to use their enterprise logins to access the secure content when viewing it from these portals.

This means that members of those portal that you added can now see the secured AGOL content when they login to those Portals.

0 Kudos
FinnianO_Connor

Thanks again Robert. After adding a layer from AGOL to a Portal web map via 'add layer from web' I see how items from AGOL can be added with authentication happening via enterprise acccounts. I guess I was hoping there would be a more straight forward way of searching content from AGOL while creating the map in Portal. Setting up a collaboration between the two will likely be the best way, but wanted to understand what this bit of functionality was doing first.

Cheers,

Finnian

ahargreaves_FW
Regular Contributor

@FinnianO_Connor did you ever get to work. As described here I can't get access to secured content in AGOL from portal...

0 Kudos