AGOL WEB APP SHARING

Jump to solution
08-05-2014 08:42 AM
ChuckKha
New Contributor III

Hello,

I am just wondering but is there a way to share apps that were created on agol with people who don't have an agol account so that they'd be able to view it without having to log in? I have an organizational account.

Thanks

Tags (1)
16 Replies
C_EHoward
Occasional Contributor III

This is my situation-- I have s secure map service I added to my AGO web map just fine. I then created a simple web app so the interface looks a little nicer than the standard web map. This is what I want users to use when editing....but only the people that have the secure service password. The only way I have been able to see this possible is if I give out an AGO login and not my secure service user/password. The AGO login  is not my preferred way to secure snce that means I have to 'lose' an AGO login just for people to edit.
Any ways I can do this? I'll keep looking but I found this and wanted to post here. thanks.

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi C E,

Are you adding a secure service from ArcGIS Server?  If so, you can share the web app with 'Everyone'.  When a user accesses the web app, they will be presented with a pop-up to enter a username/password for the secure service.

C_EHoward

Thanks Jake. yes, that is my intended workflow. I think the missing part I have yet to do is share the app with 'everyone' via a AGO content item. I have my web app hosted on my server , so if I just add that item to AGO and share with everyone, that should work, correct? Or does the actual app have to be hosted on AGO? I'd prefer the app on my server since I have made some customizations on the look. thank you for the speedy response

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

If the application is hosted on your server, and the users can access it, you will not have to add it to AGO.  However, the web map will still need to be shared with 'Everyone' since the application is reading this.

Also, it is still a good practice to add the web app to AGO to make it easily discoverable within your Organization.

C_EHoward

success finally! I do not know what the issue was, but after deleting my server-side user and re-added that info, everything looks good.

Here is my setup, in case anyone else has problems or needs to do something similar

goal- to have a group of users review/edit some data, via a nicer looking web map app

data - map service is secure and a user named bikeped is assigned to a  'user' level role in AGS

web map- added the secure feature service to AGO web map, used AGS credentials, can view fine

- shared the web map with everyone

web app- a stand alone web app (based on the map tools template I believe) using my AGO web map w/secure service

- also shared this as a content item in AGO, but per Jake this is not necessary (and I will probably delete it)

web app- user goes to my URL , types in the the AGS credentials. and we are in business!

Thanks for the help- I hope this info helps another person trolling the forums for answers:)

0 Kudos
C_EHoward

ok so I followed my own steps again and I am not seeing my web map in my web app. Just as soon as I had it working it was not anymore and I am struggling to figure out why

I have a secure map service with 2 of the layers added as feature layers in my web map. Web map is cool- I input my AGS user name/password and I am good to go. The problem is when I try and look at this map in the web app I created. The app is hosted on my server, I know I don't have to share it as AGO content but it is anyway.

I created a new hosted web app and I am getting the desired result-- but I want to use my own web app template since it has my changes. What am I missing on my server end that is preventing my web app from loading the web map w/secure service? thanks

0 Kudos
C_EHoward

Still not able to use secure feature layers with a web app template that is hosted on my server.......why not?

0 Kudos