AGOL Update - editing layers symbolised by subtypes

11-13-2023 05:12 AM
Labels (2)
RichardHowe
Occasional Contributor III

Since the last AGOL update a few weeks ago we have seen an issue where we can no longer create or edit existing features (symbolised by a subtype field) in a webmap (it was never a problem before).

It is still possible to edit them fine in Field Maps, but in a WebMap online when you get to the "Create" or "Update" button, despite showing as as available to click (i.e. not greyed out) clicking them doesn't do anything so you are forced to abandon what you have done.

Can somebody please investigate as this is holding up workflows

5 Replies
EmilyGeo
Esri Contributor

Hi @RichardHowe

I'm sorry that you're experiencing this. The Create and Update buttons should be working, even with data symbolized by a subtype. 

Are there any error messages on the form?

Are there any hidden fields in your forms? 

One change that was made to forms with the last update is the ability to use a check box to ensure the form preserves values in hidden fields. By enabling this option, the values in hidden fields will be preserved even when the fields are hidden due to conditional visibility. This can be useful to ensure that the form remains complete and that the Create and Update buttons are not disabled.

EmilyGeo_0-1699897531088.png

If this does not resolve your issue, please contact our support team to create a new case. Providing your dataset would help us investigate the issue.

0 Kudos
RichardHowe

@EmilyGeo Thanks for the reply and suggestion. Unfortunately this makes no difference. As I mentioned in my initial post the create/update buttons aren't disabled. They're lit up in blue like they should be....but clicking them doesn't do anything.

A bit more testing reveals this only affects line and polygon layer. Points in the same hosted feature layer (with identical forms and conditional visibility) behave correctly.

I have also tested adding data in Map Viewer classic and that works fine (in addition to field maps). It's only the "new" map viewer that's seemingly affected.

I have logged a ticket with ESRI UK, but would also appreciate you investigating at your end. Happy to provide a sample map if needs be.

0 Kudos
EmilyGeo
Esri Contributor

@RichardHowe

I'm sorry that didn't help resolve the issue. Yes, whenever you have a moment, please share the map with me and I'll have a look. 

If you can make it public by sharing it with Everyone and then share the link, that would be great.

But if you need to keep the map private, you could create a group, add the map and data, and include me (egarding) in the group. 

RichardHowe

By way of update (in case anybody else lands here), after working with @EmilyGeo and the ESRI UK team they came to the conclusion quoted below:

There has been a change in the behavior of required fields in forms. Previously, required fields were only enforced when they were visible, but it appears that they are now treated as required regardless of visibility. This change does appear to have occurred with the latest update to ArcGIS Online as you pointed out.

The issue has been submitted as a bug, so a resolution should be provided soon.

Bug reference is BUG-000162584

0 Kudos
EmilyGeo
Esri Contributor

Thanks for clarifying! To add on, in case there are any folks who need a workaround until this bug is fixed, one possible work around we recommend is rather than set the field(s) as required in the form, instead use a conditionally required statement on the field. 

Thanks! 

0 Kudos