Select to view content in your preferred language

AGOL Fields Maps - Date Expression

01-27-2024 12:45 PM
AlGrant
New Contributor II

I am trying to create a relatively simple form in Field Maps using AGOL.

A few questions have come up during the process, and I ended up with similar issues last time I experimented with AGOL.

Dates:
I created a date field which, using an expression defaults to "return now()". This is great, but I have found if I create a entry in FieldMaps then later edit the entry, the date is updated to reflect when it was edited. The date field really wants to be locked to the "Created" date not the edited date.
Is there a way to do this?

Coordinate System:
The phone in my GPS is giving x and y with Lat/Lon - is there a way to include fields for other co-ordinate systems? Like here in New Zealand NZTM is very common.

Fields:

If when I am designing the form in AGOL, and lets say I add a drop down for a field called "Codes" - but then delete the dropdown and use a Radio button - I then can't add a radio selector called "Codes" because there is already a field in the table called "Codes".
It appears removing the input element, doesn't remove the corresponding field from the table, while I can then go and edit the table, doing it this way seems like a clunky design process.
Maybe there is a way to add a input element, and connect it to a existing field in the table?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
ChristopherCounsell
MVP Regular Contributor

Three questions! Feel free to split them up into separate posts next time to share the internet points around 🤣

Dates:
I created a date field which, using an expression defaults to "return now()". This is great, but I have found if I create a entry in FieldMaps then later edit the entry, the date is updated to reflect when it was edited. The date field really wants to be locked to the "Created" date not the edited date.
Is there a way to do this?

$originalFeature and $editcontext.editType 

You should be able to refer to the previous state of the feature being calculated if the edit context is an update, otherwise if it's an insert (new), calculate the date.

I haven't done it but it seems possible and cleaner than relevant fields + preserving values, or splitting adds/edits into two layers.

https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/arcgis-pro/data-management/originalfeature-new-attribute-r...

Coordinate System:
The phone in my GPS is giving x and y with Lat/Lon - is there a way to include fields for other co-ordinate systems? Like here in New Zealand NZTM is very common.

Arcade geometry functions get the coordinates of the basemap. So you can create a custom basemap in the desired coordinate system and call that. Otherwise not directly, but some users have shared Arcade snippets to insert projection calculations from the Esri basemaps to others. I'd only recommend that for The simple WGS84 ones.

Fields:

If when I am designing the form in AGOL, and lets say I add a drop down for a field called "Codes" - but then delete the dropdown and use a Radio button - I then can't add a radio selector called "Codes" because there is already a field in the table called "Codes".
It appears removing the input element, doesn't remove the corresponding field from the table, while I can then go and edit the table, doing it this way seems like a clunky design process.
Maybe there is a way to add a input element, and connect it to a existing field in the table?

This is expected behaviour. Forms are built on top of the table/schema. Previously Collector 'drop-downs' existed only if you had a choice list / domain / codes on the field itself.

Users requested Field Maps have greater ease of access to adding values and fields directly to the layer through the form designer. We've seen some of this come across. But otherwise removing values or questions won't update your table - which is reasonably desired behaviour. Otherwise removing a question could delete an entire column of data, when maybe you just don't want the field in your form.

It's similar to ArcGIS Pro and other application interactions. It's on us as professionals to know what changes will be superficial/cosmetic, and what changes will update values or the schema of our database.

I'd recommend starting with your desired schema first and then aligning your form to it.

EmilyGeo
Esri Contributor

Hi @AlGrant

@ChristopherCounsell provided some great responses. 

I wanted to add on to the response to Question 3 regarding adding existing fields to forms. Yes, this is possible. When adding fields to a form, you have the option to:

A) Create new fields as you've been doing, by selecting an input type from the options on the right.

B) You can also drag and drop existing fields onto the form (ie Codes). On the right, scroll down toward the bottom to see the Fields you can choose from. You should see the Codes field listed there. Then you can format that field however you like (drop down, radio button, etc). 

EmilyGeo_0-1706548126787.png

0 Kudos
AlGrant
New Contributor II

Great answers. Thanks guys.

How would I change the base map to a NZTM one so that I could have NZTM as the default geometry?

Pictures are great.

Thanks

0 Kudos
ChristopherCounsell
MVP Regular Contributor

You need a NZTM service. Add it to your basemap layer and remove the other ones. 

If you do this and save it as a map, you can share it to your basemaps group and then it'll be available to others for use. But you can't change basemaps in an app to basemaps in a different coordinate system (i.e. back to Esri/WGS84).

https://support.esri.com/en-us/knowledge-base/how-to-use-a-layer-as-a-basemap-in-arcgis-online-and-a...

https://enterprise.arcgis.com/en/portal/latest/administer/windows/customize-basemaps.htm

0 Kudos