AGOL Application Search Widget generates "no results" message

Jump to solution
03-29-2017 08:54 AM
SteveBranson
New Contributor II

I implemented a Search Widget in an AGOL Web Application.  The data source is a feature layer (polylines) contained in a map service in the associated Web Map.  The field I am searching is a text field containing the alphanumeric pipe ID of the associated storm drain pipe (e.g. 10P10066).  When I enter the pipe ID and select a pipe ID from the pull-down list (see attached) AGOL returns an error message "No Results Found...".  However, when I copy/paste that exact Pipe ID into the Search input box and select search icon AGOL finds the pipe.  Why do I get a "No Results Found" error message when selecting that exact same pipe from the pull-down list?  This is very useful functionality that I would like to work and not have to direct users to key-in entire name rather than select pipe from pull-down list.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated!

Thanks much,

Steve Branson

FDOT D7 GIS Coordinator 

0 Kudos
21 Replies
IngridMans
Occasional Contributor II

I found a solution to my problem at least. Instead of referencing the feature layer to be searched as one from the map, instead I specified it from our larger Portal. After that the search worked again. 

0 Kudos
MJBiazar
Esri Contributor

Hi all, 

This issue may happen if you are using Alternate names or if you choose a feature service created from an SQL database view as the search source for the widget. To workaround this issue, you may try any of the followings:

1. Publish map service and copy data over to the Server instead of using a registered database
  2. Export the layer after it is joined in Desktop and then publish the map service
    • These might not be a viable solution if the data (or the view table) is being updated frequently as both workarounds will break this connection.
  3. Change the maximum number of suggestions for the search widget in WAB to "0". Now search widget only shows results (not suggestions) and resolves the issue.

All the best,

MJ

0 Kudos