Select to view content in your preferred language

Admin credentials for Consultant

Jump to solution
05-19-2023 09:26 AM
adminUtility
New Contributor II

Hello Community,

I work for a municipality and another department sources their GIS to a consultant.  This consultant wants my admin credentials to publish and manage data, create dashboards etc.  I'm concerned as there is a lot of data they should not have access.  Is there a way to give them access while limiting their access in other ways.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.  Jessica

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AyanPalit
Esri Regular Contributor

@adminUtility sharing individual credentials is a strict No. It violates all security/business norms. You can always create a new user credential for the contractor/consultant and grant them required role/privileges.  

Ayan Palit | Principal Consultant Esri

View solution in original post

7 Replies
AyanPalit
Esri Regular Contributor

@adminUtility sharing individual credentials is a strict No. It violates all security/business norms. You can always create a new user credential for the contractor/consultant and grant them required role/privileges.  

Ayan Palit | Principal Consultant Esri
adminUtility
New Contributor II

Yes, thanks.  You are right.

0 Kudos
CoffeeforClosers
New Contributor III

You should adhere to the principle of least privilege: only give users access to the minimum level necessary for them to perform their tasks.

Create a custom role for this consultant.

adminUtility
New Contributor II

I think creating a role is the way to go.  Thanks

0 Kudos
Joshua-Young
Regular Contributor

I would go with the least privilages mindset. Creating a new member role for the consultant and give the role only the permissions that they absolutely need to have to do their work would be my recommendation. Then assign that role to a new account for the consultant. This gives you complete control over what they can do. This requires more thought and coordination up front but is the most secure way to go about it.

If they absolutetly have to have administrative access, I would still create their own admin account. Sharing admin credentials is usually not recommended.

"Not all those who wander are lost" ~ Tolkien
adminUtility
New Contributor II

Thanks

0 Kudos
LeslieUK
Esri Contributor

As stated above, it is not ideal to give admin permissions away. If this needs to be done, a custom role is probably the way to go:

Configure member roles—ArcGIS Online Help | Documentation

~Just trying to fix things~
0 Kudos