Adding Layers to Web Mp

04-02-2024 05:49 PM
SheriWysong
New Contributor

Hello, Long time Arc Map user here, trying to migrate to ArcGIS Pro and ArcGis Online.

So, the only way I've found to start a webmap is to do so through a story map.  There's got to be another way.  Then, once I start the map, adding layers is a nightmare.  I can upload zip files of shapefile to My Content, but when I try to add them to my map through through the My Content dropdown, they don't show up.  I have to add them directly to the map, at which time they are added to My Content.  LYRX files can't be added to web maps.  I'm I doing something wrong?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
bdoventures
New Contributor II

Sounds like a bit to unpack here.  First of all, are you using ArcGIS Pro or ArcGIS Online to do the things you're asking about?  It sounds like you're using Pro, which can be a bit daunting at first, so you might want to start out in ArcGIS Online.  In AGOL, just click on "Map" at the top of the screen.  That should open a new map for you in the current version of the map viewer.  There's an option to switch to the classic viewer if you prefer it.

To add new content in AGOL, all you need to do is click on "Content" and then in the top left select "Add New."  When you do that, you'll get several options to add layers.

0 Kudos
SheriWysong
New Contributor

Thank you for replying!  What I was trying to do was to create shapefiles in ArcGIS Pro, then put them on a map in ArcGIS Online.  Then, after I asked the question, I realized I could run the Share Map command in ArcGIS Pro, and it will upload the map into Content.  Then when opened in Map Viewer, it looks identical to the one in Arc GIS Yay!  I also did what you suggested and opened a map under the Map tab, but when I try to add content, the only shape files that show up is the MAP_WFL layer that was uploaded as a feature layer when I shared the ArcGIS Oro map.  It has all the shapefiles from that map in that file.  So, I guess the only Content that can be added to a WebMap are feature layers.  Anyway, I'm muddling through this, trying to learn both ArcGIS Pri and Online.  I was pretty proficient in ArcMap, could do what I wanted to do anyway, and I had played with ArcGIS Online some.  I can see now that this will be better. Eventually😎

0 Kudos