Select to view content in your preferred language

Adding Data to ArcGIS Online

08-10-2010 05:35 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: cdeaner66

Hi,

Basically my understanding is that in order to add my own content to ArcGIS online I either need at least 9.3.1 to create a layer package or ArcGIS server. Is this correct?

We are still running 9.3 and do not have ArcGIS Server so I am I out of luck as far us uploading data to share?

Thanks,
Chris
0 Kudos
5 Replies
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Chris,

As a 9.3 user, you can upload and download files, like MXDs and LYRs. These files work as they do on your desktop. The person who uses them must have access to the data they reference. However, it can be a way to share these files with others who you know have access to the data. You can also add references to your services running on ArcGIS Server (if you have one).

Yes, you do need 9.3.1 to create layer packages. Layer packages extend the above in that the data is included with the package so if someone downloads it, they'll get the data as well. Layer packages can only be uploaded and downloaded. There is no ability to "web enable" them at this time. Thus, layer packages don't take the place of ArcGIS Server. You still need ArcGIS Server to create map services that you want to view on the web. We are working on "web enabling" layer packages so they can be displayed as a layer on the web. When we release this feature, it will likely be a premium feature (for fee) of ArcGIS.com.

Hope this helps,

Mike
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: cdeaner66

Thanks Mike,
How do you get a layer file to work? I uploaded one but since it doesn't contain the associated data as a layer package would, I cannot add it to a map created with ArcGIS Online.
Am I doing something wrong?

Chris
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Chris,

LYR files can't be added to the ArcGIS Online Viewer. The only type of "layers" you can add to the Viewer at this time are map services that are hosted by ArcGIS Server.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: pasi

Hi Mike,

You said you are working on web enabling layer packages (for a fee). Any idea yet when this functionality might be available?

Thanks,
Pasi

Chris,

As a 9.3 user, you can upload and download files, like MXDs and LYRs. These files work as they do on your desktop. The person who uses them must have access to the data they reference. However, it can be a way to share these files with others who you know have access to the data. You can also add references to your services running on ArcGIS Server (if you have one).

Yes, you do need 9.3.1 to create layer packages. Layer packages extend the above in that the data is included with the package so if someone downloads it, they'll get the data as well. Layer packages can only be uploaded and downloaded. There is no ability to "web enable" them at this time. Thus, layer packages don't take the place of ArcGIS Server. You still need ArcGIS Server to create map services that you want to view on the web. We are working on "web enabling" layer packages so they can be displayed as a layer on the web. When we release this feature, it will likely be a premium feature (for fee) of ArcGIS.com.

Hope this helps,

Mike
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Sorry, I don't have any date for you on when the functionality will be available. The technical side of making it work is not that difficult. It's the business side that's more complicated. How do we integrate with our back end business systems so you can buy it and so on...

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos