add content: kml <-- not working

07-08-2011 06:30 AM
JacobDarrah
New Contributor
i have a kml file that is about 2.6 mb.  everytime to i go to add content it uploads and when i go to my content to check it out at arcgis.com i get:

'The "project", is not available or cannot be added to the map.'

I thought kml was supported now? anything I am doing wrong?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Can you share the URL to the KML so we can try it out?

Thanks,

Mike

Here's some information about KML support in ArcGIS.com map viewer...

Considerations for using KML in your map

KML was originally created to view features in three-dimensional "Earth" browsers such as Google Earth. It is now supported in a number of two-dimensional web browser clients including the ArcGIS.com map viewer. There are some aspects of KML that do not work well on 2D screens and some limitations to what web browser clients can support.

Supported functionality

The ArcGIS.com map viewer supports a subset of KML elements and functionality. The list below will expand as ArcGIS Online continues to develop support for KML.

• Placemarks

•     Network links to import data dynamically

•     Ground overlays

•     Folders

•     Polylines and polygons

•     Styles of polylines and polygons, including color, fill, and opacity

•     Print KML layer

•     Icons

•     Descriptive HTML

•     KMZ (compressed KML, including attached images)

•     Embed KML layer in website

Limitations

Below are the current limitations of using KML layers in the ArcGIS.com map viewer. See Troubleshooting for details. ArcGIS Online is working to reduce this list in future releases.

• The following elements do not display in a map: regionated KML, regions inside network links, network links with refresh parameters, screen overlays, and the use of ExtendedData in pop-up descriptions.

•     Ground overlays and network links without refresh properties do not print.

•     KML layers cannot be used as a basemap.

•     KML layers cannot be reordered in the map contents.

•     KML layers do not appear in maps viewed in ArcGIS Explorer Online.

0 Kudos
JacobDarrah
New Contributor
the kml file is a local file on my computer.  i do not have a URL.  is there a way to have a URL and keep the information private? This is private information that I cant upload onto the web for everyone to see.  I was trying to get this into ArcGIS online in anticipation for ArcGIS Portal feature. is it even possible to upload a local kml file into ArcGIS online? Thanks for your reply!
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
It is possible to upload a KML file from your computer as an item in ArcGIS Online, through the Add Item button on My Content. Currently there is a bug when trying to then put the uploaded KML on the Map Viewer. It doesn't work. However, I don't see the same error message you are seeing. Can you list the steps you are doing? The error may be that the KML contains some features not supported.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
JacobDarrah
New Contributor
thanks for the update.

the kmz i am trying to upload is comprised of points and lines and attributes.  the error comes after i attempt to look at the file.  it pops up a few seconds after i attempt to view it and am just looking at the topo map from a distance.
0 Kudos
BrookeO_Neill
New Contributor II
It is possible to upload a KML file from your computer as an item in ArcGIS Online, through the Add Item button on My Content. Currently there is a bug when trying to then put the uploaded KML on the Map Viewer. It doesn't work. However, I don't see the same error message you are seeing. Can you list the steps you are doing? The error may be that the KML contains some features not supported.

Thanks,

Mike

Any timeframe on getting this bug fixed?
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
We're working on it...hopefully soon.

Mike
0 Kudos
JacobDarrah
New Contributor
any update on this?!
0 Kudos
BillAvant
New Contributor
I too am having no luck loading kml's from My Content to a map.
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
This issue will be fixed in our next update, which will happen in the near future.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos