Add a block group list to AGO

11-14-2017 08:12 AM
LeonardWeston
New Contributor III

Hello AGO Group - I'm attempting to create a trade area from a list of block groups.  Is there any way to enter a large list into arcgis online at once instead of filtering for each individual item?  For example I have BG1, BG2,BG3....BG100 separated by commas and would like to paste that into one filter selection.  

0 Kudos
7 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Hi Leonard,

Are you referring to adding data from a spreadsheet kind of list?

Walking through these steps would show how to do this:

Add a layer from a CSV file—Get started with ArcGIS Online | ArcGIS 

0 Kudos
LeonardWeston
New Contributor III

Hello Adrian - Thanks for the reply. ///  Not exactly.  It's more like I have a US census layer for a state geography and I only need certain block groups or census tracts to create the trade area.  I can filter individually using a BGID (block group ID) or GEOID field already in the file which is fine for a small area.  A large list of BGID's presents the problem. Note BGID format ex for GA:  13313000101, 13313000501, 13313000700, etc. 

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Leonard, 

I think I see what you're saying. You want to filter out multiple different features on one simple filter, right? I am guess the limitations presented in ArcGIS Online will restrict that and this is something better done in desktop GIS. I looked through this site and did some practice filtering but could not figure out an easy way of filtering multiple features in one query

Apply filters—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

Another idea is to use Web AppBuilder and using the filter widget to get more functionality out of the filter process:

Filter widget—Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS | ArcGIS 

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Another idea is to vote up this Idea:

ArcGIS Online: 'IN' Filter Operation 

The "IN" operation would be a really quick way to filter out lots of data.

In fact, there are tons of filtering requests in the Ideas, take a look:

https://community.esri.com/search.jspa?q=arcgis+online+filter&place=%2Fplaces%2F478947&depth=ALL 

LeonardWeston
New Contributor III

Cool - Thanks Adrian.  I voted up the "IN" filtering option and will check out WAB too. 

0 Kudos
MartinSchmidt3
New Contributor II

A possible different approach: Rather than use Filtering to choose your block groups, if you have an Organization account and so can use the Analysis features of AGO, you could perhaps make a layer showing the boundaries of your trade area, then use Extract Data (in the Manage Data group) to pull out the BGs that fall in that area.  Of course this means you are selecting the BGs geographically instead of using a list, so maybe this fits what you need or maybe not.

LeonardWeston
New Contributor III

Thanks for the suggestion, Martin.  I can access the analysis features but was unsure how to select BG's without using the "drawing" tool.  I think if the "IN" filter option is eventually added this will be resolved. Of course the desktop product would be another option.  

0 Kudos