Year-only display for time sliders in AGO apps

03-15-2024 11:56 AM
ShelleyWitte
New Contributor II

It's very difficult to display yearly demographic data in a time-enabled layer when Date fields express as a date in time rather than a just a year. I have school district enrollment data that is compiled by year. I want a time slider widget to just show 2023 (for the 2023 school year) instead of 8/31/2023 7:00pm. I can't be the only person who has data that  is representative of an entire year rather than a singular point in time!

The time slider widget in Experience Builder can't be configured to not show a span of time. Even if you put the ends of the sliders together while editing the app, they default to span a year from one date to the next in the live app. The problem with this is it'll show both years of data at the same time. 

Interactive maps need to be fairly intuitive from the start or people won't use them for very long. People rarely read directions before interacting with an interactive application so instructing users to move the ends of the slider together in order to properly view the data is not ideal.

Attached images show the default way the yearly demographic data displays in Experience Builder's time slider - two years at once. In order to see one, the user would have to slide the ends of the time span together (2010_data and 2011_data images). I also have a screenshot of my time settings in the web map that is included in my Experience Builder app. 

If there's a way to structure my data or configure my web map to show one year's worth of data without having to instruct the user, I am open to suggestions! Web maps don't let you do a 0 value for time interval.