Worldwide Linked Repeaters Graphically Displayed via Interactive-Online Map

07-19-2022 05:20 PM
N2LR
by
New Contributor II

Idea

I am a Federal Communications Commission (FCC) licensed amateur radio operator. I have been searching for an online, interactive mapping website that allows other operators to search for linked repeaters using an interactive GIS platform which is available on computers/PC/Mac and smart devices. My findings have revealed that one does not exist.

Terms

ARRL:  American Radio Relay League

Repeater:  A repeater is a electronic device that relays an electromagnetic signal from a transmitter to a receiver, effectively greatly increasing the signals’ distance as compared to a standalone typical radio/antenna setup.

Conventional Linked Repeater:  A linked repeater is two or more repeaters that span a greater distance and allow for communications well beyond the coverage of a single repeater.

HF:  High Frequency

VHF:  Very High Frequency

Bands:  10 meters (HF), 6 meters (VHF), 2 meters, 1.25 meters, 70 cm, 33 cm, 23 cm

Modes:  FM, D-Star, DMR, NXDN, P25, System Fusion (C4FM)

Features:  AllStar, Autopatch, E-power, EchoLink, IRLP, WIRES, WX

Database for Repeaters:   www.repeaterbook.com

Available to licensed Amateur Radio operators only. I have access to www.repeaterbook.com which is a database that allows licensed operators to search for worldwide repeaters by proximity, up to 200 miles. It is very useful because one can select a lat/long as an origin, then select which bands and modes they are intending to operate, then select a distance up to 200 miles, and finally, select “confirmed ‘On-Air’ only.” However, the limitation to this database is that it does not allow one to see which repeaters are actually linked. So the user doesn’t know which repeater(s) their signal is utilizing and if they can even contact a distant area serviced by said repeater.

For example, if I was in New York City and I wanted to talk to someone in San Francisco, CA, I cannot see which linked repeaters my transmission would be relayed thru. I couldn’t see if this transmission is even possible. It most likely isn't. This is an extreme example. There are transmit power (wattage) limitations the operator is held to according to the mode, frequency, and licensed privileges. 

If there was a GIS platform that would allow an operator to pick their origin (transmit) and desired destination (receive), and display a list (metadata) of all repeaters that would make the transmission possible; this technology would be extremely valuable to emergency communications including police, first responders, FEMA, Red Cross, and many other organizations. It would allow the most sophisticated, experienced operators to volunteer their talent from the comfort of their own home, rather than having to mobilize to an event, usually resulting in having to sacrifice equipment. Many amateur radio operators are old and cannot easily mobilize to an event.

Oftentimes, when a hurricane, avalanche, landslide, snowstorm, flood, earthquake, or other natural or manmade disaster occurs, wifi networks are nonfunctional, as seen with the terrorist attacks of on September 11, 2001. FM signals travel via line of sight. Other HF signals on 10 meters can travel far distances using relatively small amounts of power (1-15 watts) depending on, among other factors, atmospheric conditions. There are not too many 10 meter repeaters in existence however operators are always making new repeaters, as the race to accurately catalog them tries to keep up. Linked repeaters could also help improve  logistics by obtaining remote specialized resources during search and rescue, hazardous rescue, and/or hazardous containment situations to name a few. 

Software for EchoLink:  https://www.echolink.org/

Available to licensed Amateur Radio operators only. There is computer/app software called “EchoLink” which uses an internet connection to link operators with repeaters around the world. EchoLink has “…more than 350,000 validated users worldwide — in 159 of the world's 193 nations — with about 6,000 online at any given time” (https://www.echolink.org/).

EchoLink, in my opinion, is not as reliable as a conventional repeater because EchoLink relies on an internet connection. With a conventional repeater, the signals are transmitted by radio waves so a radio connected to a computer connected to the internet, is not needed. This is what makes radio operation a valuable asset for emergency communications because less equipment, less power consumption, and less dependence on communication infrastructure is needed.