Web Mapping Application Items in My Content - show the name of the template used to create the App

11-23-2017 09:25 AM
MegHoole
Occasional Contributor III

When we build applications in ArcGIS Online, we have many choices of app templates/builders to use.  Unfortunately "my content" nor anywhere in the items details explicitly indicates what template was used to build the app.

Its time consuming to open the app just to find out if its a Story Map Journal, or Story Map Series, Or Web Appbuilder App etc.

Some of our projects use multiple web applications that are built using different templates or builders.  Currently we use a naming convention to include an acronym that indicates what template/builder was used to create the app i.e.

• app name: "Cumulative Effects Project - SMJ", where SMJ indicates Story Map Journal
  • app name: "Cumulative Effects Project - WAB", where WAB indicates Web Appbuilder
  • app name: "Cumulative Effect Project - SMS", where SMS indicates Story Map Series

Please find a way to explicitly state what template or builder was used to create the Web Mapping Application.  This would improve the utility of My Contents and Item Details.

1 Comment
DerekMStrout

@MegHoole- This is the idea I was looking for before creating as new, specifically to distinguish between different flavors of Instant Apps. In my role, I often spin off several different apps for any given project, sometimes for my own testing purposes and sometimes to give colleagues different options for their wants and needs. It would be wonderful to have the template type listed in the item details rather than having to either remember or create unsightly item names. I can see a desire to keep this area tidy, and some of the app templates do have longer names (Attachment Viewer, Interactive Legend), but maybe some abbreviations would suffice.

And while it may be nice, I wouldn't necessarily request this sort of thing be available in the item filters in the left hand panel of the Contents page. I typically just search for keywords of the item I'm looking for and if the template type were noted in the table itself, I could quickly pick from the results after simply filtering by basic item type (Map, App, etc.).

I see this was posted in 2017, so if I missed a current conversation, I'll post there as well.

Thanks!

ArcGISIdea_ArcGISOnline_AppTypeLabel.PNG