Select to view content in your preferred language

Vector Tile Layers Querying/Legends

11-17-2016 11:12 AM
deleted-user-wgzH2d-p_0_f
New Contributor III

Would love to see the capability to query vector tile layers and to see the symbology in ArcOnline legends.  Currently, I am creating a vector tile layer and also a feature layer.  I'm making the feature layer transparent so I can still get the functionality of the vector tile layer (fast drawing) with the capability of querying.  However, this results in two layers I have to remember to turn on, and it makes it hard for non-GISers to understand.  As for the symbology, I think we're just hoping that people won't need to see what the individual symbols mean at a small scale.  Our only other option is to make a static legend in the map window, but it will be quite large, and users don't always need to see it.

Tags (1)
21 Comments
JoeBryant1

Please at least add legend functionality to vector tiles!

My use case: my firm is transitioning to Pro. We create several static figures for reports based on the same map template, with additional features or filtered datasets displayed on top. In Pro, we have to create a new map for each layout, so that changes to the map don't affect our other layouts in the project. In order to allow efficient updates of the basemap template, I am publishing the base layers as a single service or group of services (minus any imagery; that stays static). That way, we can overwrite the service if there is an update needed across all of our figures, instead of updating the web map manually for each of our layouts. Vector tiles should be a better way to do this, but without the option to add them to our legends, we can't use them. I have to publish feature services (slow) or map images (large) instead. I also can't anticipate all of the zoom levels that might be needed for the map image service, so some figure's base layers will appear pixelated.

FYI: we don't need feature level capabilities for these layers in this workflow (no queries, tables or pop-ups).