Tableau / ArcGIS Integration through REST end points

02-24-2018 11:10 AM
MarioFederis1
New Contributor III

My organization would like to leverage our GIS data with Tableau's BI visualization product.  Tableau cannot currently read spatial information through a live connection of our sql server SDE, only through flat files.   But they do have a feature called Web Data Connectors (WDC) which allows API's to get data via REST for charting purposes.   If ESRI created a WDC, it'd combine two giant communities of data professionals. 

Info: 

Web Data Connector 

Space: Web Data Connector |Tableau Community 

GitHub - CORaleigh/arcgis-web-data-connector 

12 Comments
MarioFederis1

Thanks for the update Kent! This is wonderful news! Seems like the acquisition by Salesforce really moved the spatial aspect of Tableau in the right direction.Keep up the good work.

In terms of being too late in the game, I don't necessarily agree.  My org is heavily invested in ArcGIS but we use Tableau Online/Desktop accounts, which is quite comparable to ArcGIS Pro/AGOL credentials in terms of pricing.  The price jumps only when you take everything on premise.  My group would prefer to use cloud solutions as much as possible.  From my perspective, Tableau is the better BI product while ESRI is the better spatial platform. Now I get the best of both worlds!

by Anonymous User

Kent Marten‌ I want to embed the Census map in our Story Map. I want to zoom it down to the County and set it to Tract. Can this be done with URL Parameters?

I want to embed this: Response Rates | 2020 Census  in this:  https://sagis.maps.arcgis.com/apps/MapJournal/index.html?appid=62cbd9708f794c80b8078cf0f2c95500 

But zoomed down to our county, and showing data by Tract.

I noticed it's an iFrame. So, if it would just support URL parameters like Esri webmaps it would be perfect.

https://visual.clarity-aip.com/views/ResponseRateChallenge/CountyTractDashboard?%3Aembed=y&%3AshowVi...

This is the same reason I created an Idea for Esri to have this functionality in Dashboards with default URL parameters.  Upvote if you like!  add default URL parameters to Dashboards