Support More Robust Symbology Hatching

11-28-2012 11:56 AM
Phil_Hartger
New Contributor III

For map (feature) services hosted on ArcGIS Online, only hollow- and solid-fill polygon symbology is effectively supported.  Feature services can be published that use polygon hatching symbols, but the hatching will always be black--no color is supported.  Similarly, when modifying the symbology of polygons in ArcGIS Online, only hollow- and solid-fill symbols are available.  It would be very nice to support a more robust set of polygon symbology.

Tags (2)
14 Comments
JamieSheehan

Come on ESRI!

This is so overdue! Polygon and Line symbology options are verging on pathetic with respect to current day standards and capabilities in other software. It's practically impossible to make a decent looking map with more than 1 polygon layer that overlaps. 

Step up or users will find alternatives.

Matt-Huser

Is there any update to this idea? With almost 200 kudos, what will it take to move this to Under Consideration?

At the bottom of this blog post there is a reference to supporting hatches natively in AGOL coming Fall of 2021...I don't think this happened.  The overhead of having to publish to ArcGIS Enterprise to maintain basic cartography seems excessive.

Matt-Huser

Good News, I'm testing the June 2022 ArcGIS Online update via the Early Adopter Program and they have added support for crosshatching and dot fills!

sarah_maisel
Status changed to: Implemented

Thank you for submitting this Idea! We introduced options for more robust hatch fill symbology in our June and November 2022 releases. If you have further feedback on hatch fill symbology in ArcGIS Online Map Viewer, please feel free to reply here or create a new Idea with those specifics - I will be happy to pass it along to our internal teams.

https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/arcgis-online/announcements/whats-new-arcgis-online-june-2...

https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/arcgis-online/mapping/whats-new-in-map-viewer-november-202... 

-Sarah

ArcGIS Online Advocacy Lead