Support for Attribute rules in ArcGIS Online

07-15-2019 03:27 PM
Yann-EricBoyeau
Occasional Contributor

At pro 2.4 ESRI implemented attributes rules at the file Geodatabase Level which is great.

It means that when you copy or move the file geodatabase, you copy or move the rules.

So if you upload this fgdb to AGOL, the rules are uploaded within the fgbd. 

Attribute rules are « able to travel » to AGOL.

At the moment these rules are not interpreted or implemented at the AGOL level.

The idea here is to have the rules interpreted and implemented in AGOL when publishing feature services from a rules enabled fgdb.

It would be great to have attributes rules fully implemented in ArcGIS Online.

This would allow users to have their own QC and field calculation in hosted feature layers and web apps !

(edited 2020-07-24 to improve this description)

67 Comments
VictorWyant

Any news on this functionality? Looked like an earlier post indicated ESRI was planning on implementing it back in January of 2021. Our workflow involves several synced feature data layers that we use and edit in desktop ArcPRO and FieldMaps. AGOL for us basically just serves as a bridge between the other two applications. The attribute rules for auto-updating area and length of features would be tremendously helpful; works great for locally stored features but not those hosted on AGOL.

CharlesWeise1

It appears to be working correctly with the AGO Maps - Field Maps settings area.  Also, when creating forms in the AGO New Map area, you can add arcade expressions that update other attribute data.  I noticed that if you set up the code in Field Maps or the Map, it translates to the Field Maps App.  I have not tested this functionality on any apps sourcing the feature class in the map with the modified form. Helpful article 

VictorWyant

Thank you CharlesWeise1. Does what you are describing enable the attribute rules to work with a hosted feature layer that is loaded/synced in desktop ArcPRO, when the edits are made in ArcPRO?  When I tried it this morning, the attribute rule works fine on a locally stored feature dataset (file geodatabase), but when I publish the feature data layer to AGOL and load it into PRO, the code for the rule is missing in the published layer, and the attribute rule dialog in PRO won't let me add a new rule for a published layer. I am running ArcPRO 2.8.6, I see that my organization has 2.9.1 available; I will update and see if that makes a difference.

CharlesWeise1

Ahh .. correct.  The two don't seem to have any connection.  It's a bummer - but, at least there is a solution in place.  We will likely just use the online forms configuration.  But, agreed - it'd be great if the contingent logic in Pro translated over.

RichardLittlefield

I think Attribute Rules should be supported in ArcGIS Online as well. They can be so powerful and being able to rely on them in ArcGIS Online is key. These days it seems most people's workflows eventually are publishing data to AGOL either for viewing or data collection. AGOL is integrated so well into Pro now, that you would think we could do this by now. Attribute rules can keep your data integrity, so collecting data with AGOL (field maps, survey123, etc.) you would expect to be able to keep that same integrity as you could in Pro. It's unfortunate you can not.

I'm personally building a database project and wanted to use experience builder and possibly survey 123 to enter new table records in  tables with relationships. I was very excited to get attribute rules working with populating unique ids automatically and populating fields based on other fields automatically, only to be disappointed that I can't use the rules outside of Pro. What a disappointment. This idea has been on here for years, and still isn't in an implementation plan, so who knows if it would ever happen.

I'm assuming Utility Network and Parcel Fabric use attribute rules heavily. My understanding of those if you have to edit those from a feature service (either hosted/rest), so I wonder how those work. Can you not edit those in AGOL? How does the system keep the attribute rules if you were to put your UN/PF on AGOL/Portal? Which I thought was mandatory, I thought you have to edit it's service and cannot connect directly to the database.

IvesJH_JCGIS

Today, are Attribute Rules supported in AGOL and Field Maps?

So many articles, blog posts, videos, etc. brag about how Attribute Rules work across ESRI platforms. I created many Rules in Pro, shared a web layer, and find that none of the Rules are being implemented when editing and/or creating features in AGOL.

Is there a simple setting I missed? If AGOL does not recognize Rules, what is the best way to rebuild the Rules for a Field Map data collection?

BenjaminGrover
it is my understanding that Attribute Rules as a function/item stored within a file geodatabase are NOT supported on AGOL when “uploading” a FGDB as a hosted item on AGOL. However, in AGOL within the new map viewer and form builder, they’ve now added the capability to imbed field calculations using arcade inside the form builder for a feature service in a web map. i would imagine some of the formatting of the scripts will need to be modified a bit to operate in an AGOL web map, but should for the most part work just as they did as “attribute rules”. hope this is helpful.

kawakawa4

+1 . Would be so useful if attribute rules could be inherited from a feature class to an online hosted feature layer.

MattyMaps

Yes, We need this too!

I want a inspection date field to auto calculate based on the record in a related table

PhilipOhlinger

Please look at adding attribute rules to be supported in ArcGIS Online (at the very least, in ArcGIS Pro when editing feature services that are in ArcGIS Online).

Currently, we use attribute assistant in ArcMap when editing feature services, but this is clunky as you need to download a section of the data, make the edits, and then sync it back. Plus, we would like all our editing to be able to be done in ArcGIS Pro. 

Please make this happen so we can switch away from using ArcMap for some of our editing workflows!