Select to view content in your preferred language

Smart Editor widget: copy features from one layer and paste to another - requires ability to select which layer to copy features from!

08-02-2022 11:11 PM
MoyaCalvert_01
New Contributor II

The smart editor widget can copy features from one layer to another using select by rectangle or polygon or lasso (under General settings > Copy and Append features). This is great. BUT, the user has no control over which layer is copied.  I am using the widget to copy from one polygon layer to another polygon layer. If the selector tool intersects several polygon layers, all intersected polys are selected.  The user can de-select the polys they don't want, but it would be a lot easier if the 'non-required' layers could be made non-selectable within the widget settings.  

7 Comments
AlixVezina

@MoyaCalvert_01 Thank you for providing this feedback!

KevinN_CSJ

@AlixVezina - I second this request! I have a smart editor built for another department (non-GIS people) to maintain their spatial data, and having to explain to them to deselect the extra unneeded layers is a lot less helpful than being able to configure the smart editor to only pull from the relevant layer(s). 

I envision another column on the "Layer Settings" tab in the Configure Smart Editor window with check boxes saying "Allow Layer to be Copied" or something similar.

AlixVezina

@KevinN_CSJ @MoyaCalvert_01 Thank you for the feedback. We are working on the new functionality for copy-paste and are taking this into consideration.

AlixVezina

This will not be implemented into the Smart Editor, but you will find copy-paste functionality available in the new Web Editor: Copy and paste features—ArcGIS Web Editor | Documentation

MoyaCalvert_01
OFFICIAL

Hi Alix,
Thanks for updating me on the progress of this type of functionality. Its great that you are expanding the flexibility of this tool by enabling users to choose which layer to paste from / to.
But I am concerned that you are limiting the 'copy' to one feature though? For our purposes, we use this tool because it selects more than one feature to copy, at any one time. This decision seems to be limiting the versatility / flexibility of this tool.
Best regards
Moya Calvert

AlixVezina

@MoyaCalvert_01 ,

Thanks for the feedback!

Right now, you can copy-paste multiple features within the same layer, but not between layers. I totally agree that this is needed, and we plan to expand to allow you to copy and paste multiple features between layers in the future. We first need to work on our batch editing workflow which is a prerequisite for this functionality.

MoyaCalvert_01
OFFICIAL

Thanks Alix for your reply.
Good to know!
Regards,
Moya